Question on Watts 009QT Backflow preventer valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Mike Rock, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Mike Rock

Mike Rock Member

Hi all. I made a visit this past Saturday to the apartment building I manage to check on the steam boiler , and walked into boiler room to find big puddle on the floor with water spitting out of the Watts 009QT backflow preventer valve that is connected to the water feed.
    I believe this valve is approx. 10 years old.

I tried to take it apart and clean it out, but it actually got worse after I put it back together, so I said screw it. I went to the supply house nearby, picked up another one, installed , all done. No big deal, but now I am starting to wonder.

Usually when the heating season is done, I shut down the boiler and turn off the gas. I am wondering now if I should also turn off the water feed going into the backflow preventer, drain the valve it and relieve the pressure, so I can prolong its life.

In the past , I had never turned off the feed to the backflow, so it was always "charged " with pressure year round.

2. Tuttles Revenge

Tuttles Revenge In the Trades

All those valves are repairable and typically the bypass gets a piece of debris in it that can be cleaned and reinstalled.

I don't have direct experience doing what you suggest, but those valves are designed to last a long time without shutting them down. Contact with air might dry the rubber seats would be my concern.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Mike Rock

Mike Rock Member

Yes, that is what I thought of as well, the rubber drying out. I really did not have time to research that day on how to clean it out, it was actually easier for me to just change it out altogether.
    I am going to look into purchasing a rebuild kit and just keeping it handy in the boiler room just in case it happens again in the future

5. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing - fire suppression - boiler inspector
    The DEP requires the backflow preventer to be tested yearly by a person who holds a valid backflow testing license and they are the only ones authorized to make repairs

From what I was told this is a statewide code requirement

When I send my employee out to do a yearly boiler inspection he also tests all the backflow devices in the building

LI I hired a guy he was charging $75.00 per device much cheaper then we charge in NYC

6. fitter30

fitter30 Well-Known Member

Retired service tech
    In Missouri have to licenced by the state. Some counties and cities need state and their licence to repair and install. If a replacement is necessary it has to be brought up to code.

Sylvan likes this.