Question on tub diverter

Users who are viewing this thread

derekb

Reaction score
I'm working on redoing a bathroom that was built in the late 80's and it has the old-school diverter style. I can't find any of these even at my local stores in brushed nickel. Figure we're opening the wall anyway to change out the valve for the Delta rough-in kit so do I need to change something for the diverter as well in the plumbing? Just trying to make sure we order all of the proper pieces before making the trip to have this swapped. Have a plumber doing the valve change as I don't have the crimp tools, etc. to do it myself. Thank you for your help and advice! Picture of what I'm replacing is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3347.jpg
    IMG_3347.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 663

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't tell from the picture, but I think you're saying that the existing valve has the push-button diverter built into the faucet. If that's the case, you don't have to do anything. The next valve will have a pull-up diverter on the spout.
FWIW, there's a Delta kit that allows you to convert from the push-button to the spout diverter. You remove the diverter, and screw in a plug which comes with the kit. I think this is what someone would have to do to convert to the brushed finish if you're keeping the existing valve body.

Last edited:

derekb

Reaction score
The diverter is currently a push button but we want it to be a pull-up off the spout. Sounds like we have to replace the spout and use the renovation kit if we find out the valve will actually work. Thank you for letting me know about that as i had no idea!

There's already a hole in the wall so we know at some point there was a leak. No idea what though because we haven't opened it back up yet. We'll do that and if we need a new UNBX1000 valve we'll run and get one.

Here's what I think and please let me know if I'm on the write track. I've got to place the order today so we have everything for our next trip down to the house.

Buy this if we find out our existing valve body will work:
http://www.deltafaucet.com/repairparts/details/rp2865.html
Switch the plate and lever to a new one - no new rough-in valve or anything needed; use Delta renovation kit
change spout to one with a pull-up diverter
change to matching drain assembly and pull-up plate

Last question - on the spout, will anything need to be changed on the copper pipe for the new spout/diverter? anything in particular i need to purchase or should our plumber have that on his truck?

Thank you again for your help - we're working with our management company on coordinating all of this and the plumber said to bring the parts and they'd do the install while we're there. So i want to limit my trips to the local lowes or plumbing store.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks