Question on trip lever tub drain-bucket size universal?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by plantingourpennies, Aug 31, 2014.

1. plantingourpennies

plantingourpennies New Member

Hello All-

House built in mid '80s, single story in Florida. Trip lever system has not worked during our ownership (5 years). Tub was draining slowly so I removed the trip lever face plate and found that there was no linkage attached (nor had their been for quite some time based on calcification pattern). I fished out a huge hairball, which fixed the slow draining problem, used a camera to verify that there was no linkage/bucket in the pipe.

I bought a new linkage from the hardware store, but the bucket/plunger appears to be too large in diameter! The bucket enters the top portion of pipe (pvc) and fits very well, but gets caught where the pipe necks down to a smaller size about 2-3" above the "T" that leads horizontally to the shower/tub drain.

1.) Are there different sized plunger/buckets; is it possible that I purchased the wrong one?
    2.) Are some of the tub drain/overflow pipes not designed to use this drain system?

We would like to get this system working as designed; any help is much appreciated.

EDIT-Forgot to mention, the tub drain itself has only a cross bar with a hole in the center.

Best,
    Mr and Mrs. PoP

PS-Terry, this is a wonderful forum! Great knowledge-base with the members, looks slick as well.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    [​IMG]

Keeney makes a bath drain repair kit that adds a stopper at the drain, and replaces the overflow plate. Then you don't have to worry about the bucket sizing.

Danco also makes a kit like this.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Smooky

Smooky In the Trades

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    1. YES. They are proprietary and each company makes their own size.
    2. Also, YES. but if it has a "trip lever" it did have a bucket at one time.
    3. The conversion unit Terry shows is the best way to fix it.