Question on TOTO Entrada Elongated

Users who are viewing this thread

Chung

Reaction score
Hi,
Just purchased TOTO Entrada Elongated toilet. When I took home and upon inspection, I found two issues and need some advise. The major one is that I found a raised spot (lump) at the base of the trapway, I cannot see it but can feel it with my finger, I am wondering if this is a defect and need to be return/replace. I don't think this is there by design because the spot would restrict the flow of the waste. Can someone please verify this?

The second issue is related to quality control. I found at the base of the trap there is a dark spot (almost black) about 1/8" diameter, it looks like the white porcelain coating missed that spot, I am wondering if this is common. I have not install the toilet yet but so far pretty disappointed with the quality control.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Chung

Reaction score
I think we need a picture of the small little speck. I can't think of a brand that looks like fine China.
Hi Terry,
My apologies. With some effort I was able to scrape it off with my fingernail, it may have been some cement sticking on the surface, now my major concern is the lump just under the trap way, do you have any idea why it's there (by design) or if this is a defect? Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without a picture or a better idea of its actual size or exact location, it's hard to tell if this is anything to worry about. While we can't be sure, it would be rare that a defect made it through QA/QC from Toto. At least based on what I've heard from Terry, Toto has the lowest defect rate of all of the brands he sells.

Chung

Reaction score
Since I am not able to take a picture, I download a cut-away diagram and place the black dot at the location where I can feel the bump (un-glazed) with my finger, it's oval shape and about the size of a small pea. I am worried it would restrict the flow of solid waste. Thanks
bump.PNG

Chung

Reaction score
Sorry I just realized the bump is actually on the other side where water is flushing out (front side), so it may be ok but I am still wondering why there is a bump there.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you are overthinking this. I've never had a problem with the trapway no these. Do they look perfect? No, not really. But then nothing out there does. And yet, they all work very well. There are toilets that I've had problems with, but they were a different brand, and in the $80 range.

cst244ef_pic_04.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Porcelain is pretty impervious, and it is not uncommon today for parts of the toilet to not be glazed. The glaze is mostly cosmetic, so in parts you don't normally see, omitting it saves money and doesn't impact function. Toto has actually found that having the trapway slightly rough helps move things along...things like toilet paper don't plaster themselves to the surface like wallpaper because of the slight roughness...the slight turbulence helps.

Chung

Reaction score
I think you are overthinking this. I've never had a problem with the trapway no these. Do they look perfect? No, not really. But then nothing out there does. And yet, they all work very well. There are toilets that I've had problems with, but they were a different brand, and in the $80 range.

cst244ef_pic_04.jpg
Hi Terry, I need urgent help here. Finally installing the Entrada today, when I install the tank I am not able to seat the tank to the toilet properly. I upload picture of the toilet and the tank, can you confirm if I have the correct tank? I know I have to correct toilet, but the tank do not match the base, especially with the two bump (mark red).

Thanks

Thanks

Attachments

• toto.JPG
    toto.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 286
Last edited by a moderator:

Highlander

Reaction score
While you wait for Terry, was there a model number on the box for the tank? Does it match a number on/inside the tank itself (probably begins with ST, possibly ST243 and some letters)?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
When you say you can't seat the tank properly...exactly what do you mean?

Generally, you need to hold the tank so it sits straight, then slowly, a little each side, alternately, tighten the nuts until it is nearly in contact with the bowl. If the tank ends up tilted, loosen the nuts, and slide it a bit the needed way, then start tightening it again. You do not want the tank tight against the bowl, but you do want it close. My trick is to stick a sheet of paper where the contact points are, and stop tightening when you can still pull the paper out but there's a little resistance. If you need to tear the paper, it's too tight. Porcelain isn't elastic, so you don't want it tight, but close is all you need. The rubber gasket that seals the tank to the bowl when new is fairly stiff. As long as you tighten evenly and stop before you actually get contact, it should work.

Chung

Reaction score
Consisting of C244EF bowl and ST243E tank.
Looks good to me.
Yes the tank is model ST243E so it should be right tank, I'll try again tonight. I think what throw me off is the tank base is flat so I am puzzle why the bowl base have that 2 bumps, and I worried it would crack the tank. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I am puzzle why the bowl base have that 2 bumps
Those are contact points.
and I worried it would crack the tank.
That is why you don't tighten so much as to make those press hard. That is why you want to be able to slide a piece of paper in and out of there when you press the tank on the side near the contact point.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those bumps help level the tank. Sometimes they come with an adjustment, grinded off a bit. Bowls and tanks are made from clay that is fired in a kiln. They start off rather large, and then shrink down. The bumps allow for some adjustment after they are pulled from the kiln. Sometimes you will look at bowls and the part that meets the floor has had some grinding too. They didn't use to do that before. I'm glad they do now, as it means less shimming of the bowls during installation. I've seen that with all brands.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks