Question on putting bleach in shallow well/systren

Users who are viewing this thread

abeljda

Reaction score
Hello, we have a shallow well a hand dug systren about 25 foot deep from teh surface and about 12 to 14 feet at the bottom, it tapers up and is probably 8 feet at the top rock lined, beautiful workmanship. We use it for washing, I have a RO and uv light system with a number of different filters on it. the thing is we still get snakes down there at times when I open the lid there may be a snake in the well which I dont like much. I would like to try and disinfect it somewhat and wondering what to pour in there and how to gauge how much to pour since it is a real guesstimate on how much water is in there. Anyone have any suggestions?

Reach4

Reaction score
You would want to get some high range chlorine test paper that reads up to 200 ppm. You would want to get some pH measuring paper that reads around 5 to 7 pH.

http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/index.php/maintainance/disinfection-and-testing is my favorite sanitizing method for deeper wells. There may be some info for you there.

You don't want to breath chlorine gas. I don't know what levels it takes to kill snakes, but it might be a higher level than what would induce them to leave.

Maybe you want to figure out how to make a snake and bug resistant lid to keep things out once they are gone.

Last edited:

abeljda

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and that link. will study it as i did not think it was as easy as dumping clorx down there like the guy who sold me the place said.....as far as keeping them out its not easy. they can climb through the rock walls in the side of the well. not sure what to do there.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I hope you're servicing that UV system properly, those bulbs don't last forever and should be changed along with the sleeve every year. RO units need regular service as well.

You will need a TON of chlorine to totally disinfect that hand dug well along with the reserve area around it.
What about the ongoing issue with snakes and insects contaminating your water supply?
How do you have it covered/secured to prevent someone from falling into it?
Why not drill a real well and put that worry behind you?

abeljda

Reaction score
Hello, we have the uv lights changed every year and they come out and service the system 2 times a year changing filters and inspecting. The issue with the snakes really bothers me and I can't stop them from getting in there really is no way with the mice holes around the well. I do have a lid on it and have had for many years. as far as a real well it would be the cost, I live in rural kansas not sure even where to start there on looking into that. I think they have to drill a test and may or may not hit water, and that could cost around 2,000 I believe. I would like to hook to rural water but it is simply out of reach cost wise, around 30,000 nearest hook up is not quite 1/2 mile and have to run the line that far, not cheap. any suggestions you have I am definetly all ears.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Use unscented Clorox® Regular-Bleach
https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-concentrated-regular-bleach/
I would pour a gallon of bleach in the well then hook up a hose and run it in the well. Let the water circulate for a while then use a test strip to check the strength. I use chlorine test papers to know when I have put enough bleach. Wash your hands real good before touching those test papers, do not get them wet and do not get bleach on them. (Sometimes I use granular chlorine like is used in swimming pools. Do not use the sticks or big tablets because they take forever to dissolve. http://www.lowes.com/pd_301385-1772-05931AQU_0__?productId=3031657 )

Chlorine Test Paper
http://stores.baileysteststripsandthermometers.com/chlorine-tape/

I would get the strength up to 100-200 parts per million. Just tear off a 2-3 inch piece of the chlorine test paper to test the strength of the water coming out of the hose. In the link that Reach4 provided it talks about adding white vinegar to reduce the pH. ….Adding bleach causes the Ph to rise and the bleach is less effective at higher pH levels. So you may want to add a few jugs of white vinegar to reduce the pH so the chlorine is more effective. Bailey’s sells pH paper too.
http://stores.baileysteststripsandthermometers.com/ph-0-13-tape/

Updated Chlorinating Link:
http://www.moravecwaterwells.com/maintainence/disinfection-and-testing

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
A quick google search showed at least 3 drilling contractors that serve Carbondale Kansas.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
No reason to disinfect the well until you solve the problem of critters getting in. Maybe you could run about a 6" liner in the well. If deep enough you could use some perforated casing at the bottom and solid casing up top. Then you would need to gravel pack a little higher than the perforated casing, and seal the annular space between the solid casing and old rock wall with cement.

abeljda

Reaction score
Apprecaite the replies here. I think initially we will try the shock treatment. going to get a sample up to the department of health and environment just for my own info.

As far as lining that well Valveman, not sure how you would even go about that. It is about 8 foot across at the top, 25 foot deep, and probably 15 foot across at the bottom.

I have made my own lid which keeps snakes out, made it of that plastic deck boarding. it works but eventually warps so contstant issue of keeping it sealed. When I moved out here the guy that lived here before me had an old horse take on top of it that had a bunch of old fiberglass insulation in it. it was very nice, and they used the well for their drinking water. I wonder what other kind of a lid I could put on ? The top is a flat poured cement with a square hole about 4x4 feet which allows access. I need to be able to get in there for problems like foot valve issue. I also have it set up with a pipe in the top thru the lid with a screw cap so I can dump water in there in dry years like we have had the past 4 years here.

Craigpump I appreciate the idea on just drilling a well, have thought about that many times and need to check on rural water vs doing that. Rural I think is going to cost 30000 and I cant swing that by any means.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks