Question on pop up drain with overflow

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
So my wife's ongoing effort to make my life more difficult is doing fine, she got a bathroom faucet set a while ago and I finally set up a pedestal sink, everything seemed fine for a few days but today got a small drip from directly on the bottom/underside sink downspout where I put in a rubber type angled gasket followed by a thin plastic disk and the the large nut, was not sure how tight to make it and I think that may be the issue, but I am also wondering about this particular drain having an overflow hole in it, the sink does not have one, I couldn't see how it would work and didn't think anything about it, but I am reading online that this is not compatible? So it would leak thru the drainhole? What surprises me is that it leaks even after little use, as I did not think the standing water reached up that high.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Assuming you have a sink with an overflow, most of the time the problem is the drain pipe is not threaded into the flange all the way. This causes the overflow holes of the drain pipe to be barely above the gasket. Some drains the flange and drain pipe is all in one and you drop the drain into the sink from the top. Another source of leak is the flange is not properly sealed to the sink. Use plumbers putty or silicone.

The picture below is a universal popup the flange threads onto the drain pipe and it must be fully seated.
1646444398516.png

James23912

Reaction score
Hi Worth, thanks, There is in fact an overflow hole, it is in the front, not the back so I did not notic it. I have taken it apart and will try putting it back together better later today, what I don't get is where water would be coming from as it leaks directly under the sink, just a drip, but leaks a lot now when water is draining, but I don't understand why it would be dripping when the water is not used at all. Water does not drain out at all when left in the sink. I have understood that the water in the trap does not go right up to the drain hole, which is a good 6 or more inches above the trap connection.
it worked fine for several days

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks