question on Oakum

Users who are viewing this thread

harveymasons

Reaction score
Can someone explain what oakum is and how it is used? Seems like it is used to solder a lead joint?? Is this correct??

I have a second floor bathroom in which I can see the toilet connections from below as the ceiling of the 1st floor bathroom is exposed.

Seems like there is a lead pipe running horizontal for about 8 or 9 inches right below 2nd floor toilet which then connects to cast iron vertical pipe that drains out to the street.

While this connection is very sound w/ no signs of corrosion or leaks is it wise to leave it be or replace while I have the ceiling exposed?? ANd lastly is that oakum that is sealing the lead joint to the cast iron??

thanks in advance,
harvey

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
oakum

Oakum is used with lead, not solder. If you used solder in the joint you would crack the cast iron fitting when you attempted to caulk the lead tight. The oakum seals the joint, and the lead seals the oakum and keeps it in place. I would remove the lead bend and replace it with cast iron, but others would go with PVC or ABS.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
lead

hj is right, I would also use cast iron.
I have seen lead risers, but they were used in the early part of the last century in my neck of the woods. But in all my travels, I have seen very few lead bends.
I've gotta believe that the brass cl. flange isn't sealed to the lead pipe well anymore.

kimikki

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but when I worked in the log home building field, Oakum was a rope insulation we marketed. It was available in either oiled or dry, whichever the builder preferred. It was useful in repelling insects and in creating an "old" look to log homes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think it is the same stuff...you stuff the joint with it and then seal it in with liquid lead poured with a ladel. I remember seeing my father do this (I've never done it).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Jim is correct. Oakum is a caulking material that is tightly packed into cast iron joints then topped with molten lead. It's not really a DIY job. When ship planks were caulked, I think something like pitch or tar was probably used to top it off, but certainly not molten lead.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
oakum

Plumbers use oakum and it's jute or hemp that contains oil. I used to think that it smelled of tar, but it may have just been oil.
And when its packed tight and it gets wet, it swells.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks