Question on installing tub drain kit

Users who are viewing this thread

BJ James

Reaction score
I ran into another stumbling block here. The offset rubber overflow gasket that came with my ABS drain kit is not allowing my overflow pipe to come straight down to the tee. If I have the gasket thick side up, it pushes the pipe towards the tub too far. Thick side down, pushes the pipe away from the tub too far. Instructions state the pipe needs to come straight down to the tee.
What to do?

BJ

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
the gasket in the abs kits have enough flexibility to force the piping closer to where you want it. Position the gasket so that it is as close as possible to where you want it and then force the rest into position

BJ James

Reaction score
Thanks, that worked. My next dilemna is I cut my my ABS to size, dry fit it glued everything, but now my drain does not seat properly. It misaligned higher towards the rear of the tub than the front. Will the thin rubber gasket under the tub, and plumbers putty under the drain be enough to keep it leak free?

BJ

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks, that worked. My next dilemna is I cut my my ABS to size, dry fit it glued everything, but now my drain does not seat properly. It misaligned higher towards the rear of the tub than the front. Will the thin rubber gasket under the tub, and plumbers putty under the drain be enough to keep it leak free?

BJ
That is hard to say. The boot should sit squarely on the tub and if its off a bit, it may be anough to cause a leak. It depends what you consider a "bit"

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Just a FYI...plastic pipe sockets are an interference, tapered fit. this means that as you push the pipe in, it is designed to not fit in the socket until you add the cement, which melts slightly and fuses the two pieces together. Thus, you CANNOT dry fit and expect things to work out; you have to measure or you'll get the exact problem you describe. the larger the number of joints, the bigger the problem becomes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The bottom fitting MUST be parallel to the tub. Neither the gasket or the drain fitting will compensate for a misalignment. On the overflow, you rotate the gasket, and twist the overflow, until you find a spot where it fits perfectly.

BJ James

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info.
Yes, I figured that bottom should be flat, that's why I asked. Looks like I screwed up on the length of the pipe beneath the tub, so I'll try again.

Question: what fitting/connection/attachment whatever would you use if you wanted to set the tub in place, hook up the drain ( I have limited access from below), test for leaks in the drain and whirlpool hoses, disconnect drain from tub and line, remove tub to lay sandmix to place the tub into, place tub and then hook the drain back up.
I'm sure most would leave the drain attached to the house, but the protruding whirlpool hoses will get in the way of me doing that. I guess I need a way to temporarily attach the tub drain to the main line.

Thanks,
BJ

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks