Question on installing ceiling fans with remote control

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
Not something that comes up often, I guess, but thought I would ask before going any further.
So I have put in two new ceiling fans, using 3 wire and 2 switches, one for fan, one for light, but the third fan I have has a remote control. I rough wired the same way as the others , two switches and 3 wire, but the wiring on the remote sending unit takes only the black and white, plus ground, so does that mean I will not use the second switch? Never used one of these before, thanks for any info.
There is a second set of wire connections that has 3 wires coming out of the sending unit and going to the fan and light, I assume, but unless the third wire from the switch is connected zi don’t see how the second wall light switch will do anything.

the instruction diagram shows only a two wire coming into the ceiling box

Fitter30

Reaction score
Be sure that the remote is for led bulbs the one that are made for incandescent only will not work on led/ cfl. The reason the dimmer isn't a dimmer by varying voltage it cycles power on and off on and off.

James23912

Reaction score
Be sure that the remote is for led bulbs the one that are made for incandescent only will not work on led/ cfl. The reason the dimmer isn't a dimmer by varying voltage it cycles power on and off on and off.
Hi thanks. It comes with bulbs so I assume they are the right ones I have found some diagrams but they are confusing one shows the red wire bypassing the remote sender and connecting directly to the blue light wire. I think I will do it as the directions show and see what happens. Can always undo it and reconfigure.

Aaroninnh

Reaction score
A fan with a remote doesn't usually need the extra wire. Extra wire running back to the switch is for a fan without a remote.

Remote receiver, provided it lives inside the fan and/or fan canopy/junction box will just need the 'hot all the time' wire.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
...I have put in two new ceiling fans, using 3 wire and 2 switches, one for fan, one for light,....
Do you mean one switch for one fan motor and other switch for the fan light and you installed another unit the same way?

...but the third fan I have has a remote control. I rough wired the same way as the others , two switches and 3 wire, but the wiring on the remote sending unit takes only the black and white, plus ground, so does that mean I will not use the second switch?
I'm assuming the remote is built into the fan or a module that sits inside the ceiling electrical box. Two wires, Blk & Wht + green ground is all that is needed to the remote unit. The module will send power to the fan motor, the fan light or both.

There is a second set of wire connections that has 3 wires coming out of the sending unit and going to the fan and light, I assume, but unless the third wire from the switch is connected I don’t see how the second wall light switch will do anything.
The second switch is not used. The wire from the second switch to the ceiling box should be disconnected and the wires capped off with a wire nut.

James23912

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I did two others with no remorse, I guess I am wondering how it works with a remote, this one is in the bedroom so I would like to be able to hit the light switch when entering and then be able to use the fan and shut off light and fan if I am in bed, I don’t want to have it such that the switch is on but only the remote works anything, never used one w a remote before, but I guess I will find out, thanks again

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It all depends how the remote receiver module is mounted. If it is a separate module then you can actually remove the entire unit and hardwire it just like the other fans. Black is for the motor, white is the neutral, blue is for the fan light. The only thing without knowing exactly what you have is the motor speed control. If there is a pull chain for the fan speed it be no problem to remove the remote. If there isn't then leave the module in and wire the wall switch to the blue wire of the fan. Do not connect it to the remote module at all.

I have a dc motor fan and it came with a separate receiver module. Fan wise it is great, 6 speeds and no motor hum but the light control with a dimmer feature was terrible. I wired my switch directly to the blue fan light wire just like any other fan. The fan motor is also tied to a wall switch but no pull chain for speed control. It's a fan on my back porch and I keep the remote wall mounted. Works out great.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks