Question on floor drain for water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

James55

Reaction score
I have to install a floor drain for a water heater that is located in a closet. Installing the drain is not a problem. My question has to do with how the water heater TPR valve drains.

1. Do I set it up so that the TPR valve drains into the water heater pan, and then have the water heater pan drain to the floor drain?
2. Do I set it up so that the TPR valve drains to the floor drain, and the water heater pan drains to the floor drain as well?

I live in Washington state, and haven't been able to get a clear answer to this question.

Thanks in advance,

James Thomas

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When I am faced with something like this in Manhattan high rise

I place T&P discharge above the floor drain and have the pan drain separately .I do not know your area code requirements

James55

Reaction score
I'm not sure about Washington state codes either. I'm not a plumber, so would probably not understand the codes if I read them. Thanks though! I was looking at the setup and the TRP valve is facing 180 degrees away from where I would put the drain. That will make it harder to get this right.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks