Question on drywall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I would like to know if there is something a person needs to do after they have the taping all completed? Do you need to put a primer on before you texture or does everyone texture right after the taping is done? When the texturing is done do you need a primer before you paint and if so what seems to be the best one? Thanks.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Do you need to put a primer on before you texture or does everyone texture right after the taping is done?

If the taping stuck to the board just as it is, then the texturing should do the same.

When the texturing is done do you need a primer before you paint and if so what seems to be the best one?

I can imagine there are primers for sealing the surface of the board in areas with high humidity, but I am not aware of any other need for primer unless the finish coat might be very expensive and primer is used for the initial saturation of the surface of the board or behind wall paper.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Drywall, including textured, absolutely needs a primer. There is special primer called PVA which is excellent fot this application. If you do not prime, the paint coat does not cover well or evenly.

SgtSheetRock

Reaction score
What kind of texture?

What type of texture are you applying?
How thick will it be?
Have you heated the job with any oil belching temporary heaters?
Are you spraying or rolling a texture?
If you are using drywall compound from a box or bucket, the premixed kind, you would be well served to add 20% by volumn primer to the mix. This does not serve as a complete primer substitute. It can, if your budget is tight.
A mixture of this 1/5 ratio prevents a condition known in the trade as "crazy cracking" from occuring in your beautiful, rich texture.
An amount of primer as small as 1/2 gal per 5 gal of premix will often be sufficient to prevent the tendency to become openly porous and crack as it shrinks and dries. This amount makes the texture infinitely more sprayable, and also is very helpful in making a hand troweled finish more predictable and therefore manageable. Also helps set up times in thicker applications.
Sand and other texturing substances can also be added, in addition to the primer. This makes any DW texture impossible to differentiate from plaster when repairing, blending, or new construction.
Been doing it full, part, or retired time for 34 yrs. Has not failed me yet---except before I learned to add the primer! Regular topcoat paint works in a pinch, just not quite as well and predictably.
SgtSR

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Drywall finishing is the one trade I hire out regularly. I've found a fast, expert, reasonable, guy to do the work and it's a pleasure to write the check when he's done.

However, I struggle to do the little patch jobs when I need to. He sprays on a texture coat (no primer, either on the wall or in the mix) then knocks it down with a wide rubber knife. I haven't been able to duplicate it myself, but when he does a small patch in conjunction with major work, it's invisible.

Finally, here's my question for Sarge: How do you plop on the initial globs of premix in a small area without using a hopper gun? (I've got the gun, but it seems like a lot of trouble to cover up a 3x5 area where I've moved an outlet, for example.) In general, can you point me to some good advice on texturing technique?

SgtSheetRock

Reaction score
Graco has some devices that can really be a boost for small repairs like you are mentioning. There is a hand pushed tube/type hand pumped sprayer that can be put underneath a hopper.
The top of a hopper gun is a regular pipe fitting, so you can put many kinds of closed top cans on them. Which helps to eliminate spills going in and out of repairs. The hand pump means no compressor, lines or cords. A whole hopper top is way to big for most repairs, and the top is open, inviting spill accidents.
I have had good luck with hand cranked stucco guns. A set of flippers on a hand cranked little device. If you play with the texture viscosity you can do amazing things. Trying to get in and out of these little repairs is how I started playing with the primer in the mud idea in the first place.
Remember that sponges are your friend for edges and the blends!
SSR

Mikey

Reaction score
Thanks, Sarge. I've been saving all my scraps for practice, so I guess I'll cobble up a small hopper for my gun and get to it. Haven't been able to find the Graco hand-pump; found a couple of Homax toolss that might be worth a look. There's a fairly large drywall distributor a few miles from home; I'll stop and have a chat with them.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I have one of those Homax hand pump hoppers. Only Mighty Joe Young has the arms pump it! And if you remember Mighty Joe Young, you are too old to be fooling around with this stuff!!!

MG

Reaction score
Drywall, including textured, absolutely needs a primer. There is special primer called PVA which is excellent fot this application. If you do not prime, the paint coat does not cover well or evenly.

New drywall will soak primer up like a sponge. Two coats isn't out of line with it either.

Mikey

Reaction score
And if you remember Mighty Joe Young, you are too old to be fooling around with this stuff!!!
I do, and I agree.

I should have made a YouTube movie of me hanging the top sheets of 10' 5/8" drywall in my garage last week. I generally work alone, so I spend a lot of time making tools and jigs to compensate for my scrawny aging body.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks