Question on connecting horizontal drains in cellar

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
hi looking at info on connecting the branch drains from sinks and washer into the main 3" horizontal in the cellar, I read that they have to connect at an angle, but I don't know whether that means two angles or one, in other words, I get that they have to turn towards the outside of the house, but that also mean they have to come into the larger pipe from above, or can they come in at the same level, meaning flat?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You would use a wye or a combo fitting to add sinks or washers to the 3" horizontal line. Those can be at a horizontal or upright and anywhere in between.

On the floor where they are at, they will need p-traps and venting for those p-traps. The washer p-trap is on the same floor as the washer and the vent for that is on the high side of the trap arm.

washer_rough_1.jpg

A washer rough.

double-lav-3.jpg

James23912

Reaction score
hi thanks, I think I am okay with the upper floors part, I just wanted to be sure it is okay to come in at the same height in the cellar. It seems a lot trickier to come in at two angles.

There is one other thing, though, the guy I hired (and fired) used PEX for the sinks but he has brass fittings coming in to run to the sinks where your picture shows pex, the guy said he would have to sweat the ones he put on, would the pex have been easier? He also used pieces of wood as backers rather than the metal things you show.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks