Question on calculating head pressure and circulator setting

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeG88

Reaction score
I recently had to swap out my circulator pump (it was a Taco 00R-MSF1-4IFC, Taco technical support recommended the 0015e3-f4 as the current equivalent). I,m curious about how much head pressure my system has because I've noticed that the performance curves for the three speeds are not the same between the two pumps. It appears that the 0015e3 varies its speed to maintain a constant head pressure in low and medium, in high it run full speed constantly.

My system is 3/4" Pex and scaling out the loop on the blueprint I come up with about 175' total circuit, 54' of that being 3/4" HWBB. I've found simple rules of thumb for calculating a guesstimate for copper tubing, but nothing simple for pex?

I ran the old pump on the low speed but wonder if medium is the better choice for the new pump as it appears that maintains a constant 10' of head pressure as opposed to 5' on the low speed. (I am assuming I need over 5' of head pressure for the circuit described?)

What would happen if circulator was run at too high or too low a setting for the system?

FWIW using a cheap handheld infrared thermometer and some black tape around the tubing near the start of the secondary loop- I am getting a little over a 10 degree delta after the boiler has been running for a few minutes.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks