Question on breaker, wire, and outlet for Oven/range

Users who are viewing this thread

Melody

Reaction score
It may be a silly question, I am looking for advice on but hopefully not.

My old range broke, dead as a doornail. I got a new range.

The issue is as such, the old range, and the corresponding outlet was 30amp, 3 prong, the new range is 40-50 amp max, 4 prong.

My breaker for the range is 50 amp, the line in the wall, so far as I can tell, is ok for the 50 amp.

If I change out the 3 prong 30 amp outlet to a 50 amp 4 prong will this work? Or am I asking for trouble?

I am obviously not licensed, but I am tech and electrical savvy enough to switch a wall outlet out without killing myself.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The real important item is the size of the wire from the breaker to the outlet. Since the original is 50 amp breaker the wire is probably 8 gauge copper. however, it will only have only three conductors. The new outlet may read 50 amp but that is the MAX rating and it will work, if you have four conductors.

Is this a free standing range? Did it come with a power cord already install? What is the brand and model number so someone can look it up for you?
Look in the installation instructions for the range. There maybe instructions on how to convert to three wire.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Here is a typical installation instruction for a range that can be wired as four wire or three wire. Most likely you will need a new 3 prong outlet with a 50 amp rating. And a new three prong cord for electric ranges. There is a difference between ranges and dryers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 7.22.52 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 7.22.52 PM.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 214

Poncho

dumb...but...try'n!
Reaction score
Ran across a similar issue during upgrade of Oven/MicroWave wall unit. Installer was going to tie Neutral/Grnd and I didn't like that idea so I went ahead an ran new 4 wire feed to accommodate new appurtenance.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score

Poncho

dumb...but...try'n!
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks