Question on 17T Delta cartridge - lukewarm to scalding water...

Users who are viewing this thread

KRC

Reaction score
I purchased and installed a R22000 valve body and 17T cartridge.
I have it all "working" but it doesn't really get "cold" water - so I question if this is by design. The cold must be working because the hot water does adjust from lukewarm to scalding, so the valve must be mixing. But I can't just get "all cold water" - so is that by the design of these cartridges? I also notice that if I shut off the hot line (I have a separate shutoff of the cold and hot lines), then no cold will flow, and vice versa. So there must be some sort of pressure balancing requirement as well from the inlet ports? I guess this will work, just seems odd that I can't get very cold water out of the valve - so I am questioning if there is something else subtle going on.
Thanks!
KRC

upload_2021-12-19_17-38-46.png

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure exactly the cartridge you'r talking about but there's likely a thermostatic adjustment that needs adjusted. It also seems like it should out of the box be adjusted to run cooler water rather than hot which makes me think you have something flipped.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I have faint recollection of this happening because the cartridge was rotated incorrectly.
After turning both sides off, remove the brass ring and make sure the v shape on the cartridge is into the notch provided in the faucet body.
Call Delta if that doesn't work.

KRC

Reaction score
Hey - I was able to work it out. I took it back apart and made sure that the cartridge was oriented correctly - which it seemed to be. Then I noticed that it was just "stuck" when turning CW to cold... but once I exerted a bit more torque then it went over fine. Maybe it was just a break in thing - the tool they give doesn't let you get much torque on the end gear to easily turn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks