Question for a well pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave Fouts

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My name is Dave in Phoenix, Arizona. I've been reading through lots of posts and manufactures website looking for answers. There's way too much conflicting information out there. I was very happy when I found this website. Smart tradesmen with real experience in their trade = good advice.

I'm looking for help and guidance in a world I have little knowledge in and would greatly appreciate some of both on the subject. I will be helping my daughter and granddaughter build a new home on the outskirts of Phoenix. The first thing to be built will be a pump house to supply water during construction. It will eventually be tied to the home when if it's completed. My daughter was raised in our home with a well and understands water conservation.

The pump house will consist of:
A 2000 gal storage tank
1 or 2 pressure tank
Pump 220-volt ½ or ¾ H.P. - best I can get
A whole house filter bypassed during construction
And a solar hot water tank

The well will go in apx two years down the road when cash allows. That pump will be selected and installed by the well driller. Just an F.Y.I. wells around here are very low producers. Apx 2-5 GPM and 700-900 feet deep. If any of you could offer advice I would greatly appreciate it. I'm just an old guy who spent his whole life working in the sun and the heat trying to help his daughter and granddaughter. I can't seem to wrap my head around the math.

Here's the scoop:
2000 sq ft home
Two full-time occupants
3.5 baths
2 hose bibs
Washing machine and dishwasher
NO pool or water features
Just a few trees on low flow drip lines
Apx. 50 gal a week for everything, max

The lift from the top of tank, not bottom, down to the pump on floor, will be 7 feet. Head/rise to home will be 5 feet max. 1 1/4 “ copper or PVC pipe to home 100’ max. After three weeks of researching this is my math and it’s very fuzzy. 46 flow units, GPD=160 at 50-60 PSI if possible. 20 gal drawdown, 1 or 2 pressure tank diaphragm or bladder? I would like to use ½ horse power pump on 220 volts for power consumption if possible but would rather go bigger if durability weighs in on a 40-60 P.S.I. switch So any thought’s on the size of the tank, and pump size H P. Please after you are done laughing at my math and ignorance can you help me with tank and pump sizing. Any other advice would be great. Also, the pressure pump will run on a 220-volt generator while building the home.

Can you please suggest quality brands on the pump and tank, as well?

Thank you all very much. Dave F

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I would figure an average of about 300 gallons per day. A submersible will pump more than a jet pump. So a 1/2HP, 10 GPM submersible in the storage tank would work fine. You would need a 1HP jet pump to get the same gallons and pressure as the 1/2HP sub, but either would work. Save your money on the "1 or 2 diaphragm tanks". You already have 2000 gallons stored in the tank, and extra 20 gallons from a large diaphragm tank is not helping anything. All a pressure tank is for is to reduce the pump cycling on/off somewhat. When you have a Cycle Stop Valve to eliminate the cycling, a 4.5 gallons size pressure tank is all you need. Plus the small tank and CSV will give stronger 50 PSI constant pressure to the house, instead of the pump constantly going on and off while the pressure goes up and down from 40 to 60 as it does with the old pressure tank only method.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Dave Fouts

Reaction score
Valvman
I want to thank you for the education and great advice. You saved me $ and a lot of stress. I truly appreciate your time and knowledge.
Dave F Phx. Az.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks