Question concerning cracked waste flange

Users who are viewing this thread

xami714

Reaction score
When i removed toilet to replace wax ring i found a crack in the flange that the toilet bolts go thru. The crack is between the bolt slot and just where the flange meets the waste pipe. If that piece is welded, then that weld is what failed. I believe it probably happened from not tending to a rocking toilet fast enough causing undo stress. The wax ring i use has a plastic flange. Both wax and flange appear to seal opening before crack. I was just wondering if: 1) There are no leaks and i can tighten down the toilet, do i consider myself lucky that a missed a biger bullit? 2) Is soldering (welding) a consideration? 3) Did i not miss that bullit and is my best course of action a new waste pipe?
Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

Mike

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Throw that wax ring with the plastic horn as far as you can. The cause far more problems than they do good. I would advise you to replace the flange with a stainless steel one. It will cost more, but will last forever. It seems to me that stainless steel should be a no brainer for the under parts of a toilet. Brass won't rust or corrode either, but it is too soft and can break.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the rest of the flange is in good shape, you might be able to carefully cut that ring off and attach a new one, depending on the style. As noted, a picture would possibly allow an accurate assessment and recommendation rather than guesses on what you have.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
crack

I assume the flange is an all plastic one, because they are the most likely to deform and crack. If the bolt hole/slot is damaged, something has to be done to restore its integrity. What that something is depends on the existing flange and how it is fastened into place.

xami714

Reaction score
two pix of flange

I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me. You're ever in new york,look me up and i'll buy you a drink. :) Hope these two pictures shed some light.

mike

Attachments

• SV300009.jpg
    SV300009.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 349
  • SV300008.jpg
    SV300008.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 362

Gardner

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
non-expert opinion

That's a brass flange on a lead bend. Is the flange screwed down to the floor anywhere? It's hard to tell from the photos if there are screws under that wax residue.

Is the crack you're referring to the point where the lead does not blend smoothly into the brass like it does the rest of the way around? Or is there a crack in the brass part that I can't see properly.

Experts might say different, and I am not one, but what I understand is that if the flange is properly mechanically attached to the floor, then the lead bend can be left just hammered over the flange like this. The flange can be soldered to the bend like yours evidently was, which will give it more strength, but nothing is a substitute for properly securing it to the subfloor.

Last edited:

xami714

Reaction score
The crack is at the point where the lead does not blend. Also, you are seeing correctly, there are no screws under the wax. The thinset was spread right up to the waste pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks