Question about whether to use teflon tape on toilet input valve

Users who are viewing this thread

LBrandt

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently installed a new 1/4 turn valve with compression fitting on my copper pipe toilet input line. The clerk at the store where I bought it told me NOT to use any teflon tape on the threads, so I did not. I got it installed properly, but it did take some extra tightening to get it done. When I tightened it to the point that I expected no leak, I found that I still had a very tiny leak, so that’s when I tightened it a second time, and this did the job.

I just finished watching “Holmes on Homesâ€, and in the episode, Mike Holmes was installing a valve on a kitchen sink input. Even though my valve was for a toilet, the type of valve was the same as he used. When he got ready to install his valve, he stated that he always wrapped the threads with teflon tape before tightening.

I’ve used teflon tape on other applications in the past, but as I said, the store clerk told me not to do so with the toilet valve.

I’d appreciate hearing some opinions on this subject. Should I have used teflon tape or not? Is it recommended or not? Does it hurt or help to use it?

Thanks,
Louis

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
I never use teflon tape on angle stops, just a little amount of megalock pipe dope to lubricate the threads. Keep in mind that the ferrule and compression nut are making the water tight seal not the threads.

Esquire

Plumber
Reaction score
If it has a ferrule, rubber washer, or a beveal between the connections on the tube and the stop I don't use teflon ever - either, like jc. Those items are put in place as he said to keep the seal. telfon and dope - imo - are strictly meant for bare thread to thread connections.

LBrandt

Reaction score
If it has a ferrule, rubber washer, or a beveal between the connections on the tube and the stop I don't use teflon ever - either, like jc. Those items are put in place as he said to keep the seal. telfon and dope - imo - are strictly meant for bare thread to thread connections.
The connection that I'm talking about IS a bare thread to bare thread connection.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
On a compression stop, the threads should never see any water...they are there to provide leverage for the compression fitting. It is the compression fitting that makes the seal, but the threaded part provides the means for it to compress and make the seal. thus, there is no benefit and maybe a hinderance, to using tape in there. Lubricating the threads so it is easier and smoother to tighen up the compression fitting can sometimes help as the plating and threading done today on some of them is not the best and they stick a little sometimes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Bare thread to bare thread is unimportant if the thread is NOT doing the sealing. There are many bare thread to bare thread connections which do not require any additional materials.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Compression threads don't seal.
They are cut straight without a taper to them.
The nut threads down on the sleeve, and compresses the sleeve around the pipe for a seal.
No tape needed.

The seal is either from the compression sleeve, which you would have with solid risers.
or at the bottom of the supply line, it will have a shaped end that snugs into the socket of the fill valve, or most of the time, a flat fiber washer for the seal.

One of my jobs as a plumber is to go to peoples homes to remove Teflon Tape from supply lines.

I watched an episode today, and the plumber was using black ABS pipe and fittings, and clear glue.
I personally don't know of a clear glue for ABS.
That would normally be for PVC

He also added a glass window in a tub wall.
I hope he ordered it tempered.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks