Question about toilet flange.

Users who are viewing this thread

38ppBBia

Reaction score
I am remodeling my bathroom and I need to add plywood to stabilize the floor before I tile, so I need to raise the toilet flange to the new floor height. When I cleaned up the flange, I see that there are these jagged peices of cast iron sticking up past the surface (see picture 1). How can I raise the flange when it is not flat like it should be? Also, there were some screws with washer-type things holding the flange to the floor. When I pulled the floor up, most of these screws pulled right out (picture 2). Should I just get some more screws and washers to screw it back down? Thanks.

f.php

f.php

38ppBBia

Reaction score
So I used a grinder to grind the jagged edges down, in case anyone else finds this and is looking for an answer. Then I'm using 1/4" extenders to raise the height, with caulk in between each layer.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would consider using a DANCO Model 10672X Hydroseat. It may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put a normal wax ring under it. I used to think you put another ring on top, but I see they are planning that you just put the toilet on top with no top wax. This would fit cases where the feet are going to be on top of the finished floor, and you can drill holes for screwing down the feet. You can alternatively use the holes not on the feet to hold it down. That way you don't have to drill your hard flooring

38ppBBia

Reaction score
I would consider using a DANCO Model 10672X Hydroseat. It may fit your needs. Read up on it. You put a normal wax ring under it. I used to think you put another ring on top, but I see they are planning that you just put the toilet on top with no top wax. This would fit cases where the feet are going to be on top of the finished floor, and you can drill holes for screwing down the feet. You can alternatively use the holes not on the feet to hold it down. That way you don't have to drill your hard flooring
I saw these at menards, but I was confused about what the metal screws into. And why its only on the one side. I'll have to look into the documentation.

Reach4

Reaction score
The screws can be thru the feet or in the ring. What the screw screws into would vary with what is available.

The closet flange has two jobs. It pulls the toilet to the floor, and it provides the lower part of the seal.

38ppBBia

Reaction score
The screws can be thru the feet or in the ring. What the screw screws into would vary with what is available.

The closet flange has two jobs. It pulls the toilet to the floor, and it provides the lower part of the seal.
Do you have any suggestions for my question in the second pic? It seems like these screws were holding the flange down. Do I need to add more to keep the flange down while the toilet pulls up?

Reach4

Reaction score
Cast iron piping can be pretty strong, but I would worry using that to provide the constant downward force. So yes, that is why those screws were there.. to help pull down. If you used the Hydroseat, that would let you provide the downward force with screws into your new plywood.

If you did use the hydroseat, you would remove the existing closet bolts.

38ppBBia

Reaction score
Cast iron piping can be pretty strong, but I would worry using that to provide the constant downward force. So yes, that is why those screws were there.. to help pull down. If you used the Hydroseat, that would let you provide the downward force with screws into your new plywood.

If you did use the hydroseat, you would remove the existing closet bolts.
Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks