Question about stacked switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my home, I need to replace a stacked modular switch that controls an exhaust fan (top switch) and heated blower (bottom switch). This Nutone, combination heater/exhaust fan is located above my shower.

The two hot wires that connect to the upper and lower switches are pigtailed with the incoming hot wire, and they are 12 ga stranded copper. The two neutrals are 12 ga solid copper. The breaker is 20 amp. The modular stacked switch, however, is only rated for 15 amps.

I looked all over town for a 20 amp rated stacked switch, and there were none to be found, even in the electrical supply stores.

Given that the breaker is 20 amp, and the wires are all 12 ga, shouldn't this switch be rated for 20 amps? Especially since there is a heating element involved that could potentially draw a lot of current.

What do you think?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Oem

Nutone and Broan both sell modular switches that are made for such applications.

If you would rather, put in a 2-gang box and install separate 20 amp switches.

Jbfan74

Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with having the 15 amp rated switches on the 20 amp breaker.
I have never seen a 20 amp stacked switch, but I have not looked for one either.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
15A outlets are allowed on a 20A circuit, you just can't put a 20A outlet on a 15A circuit. I don't see a problem using the manufacturer's switch that is matched to their device for control. If your thought were followed through, think about a lamp you plugged it - it could be rated to use a max 100W bulb...it doesn't have to have a 20A switch in it, or 12g wiring, either.

The typical wiring in the UK has limited fusing or CB...each plug is required to have a fuse in it (in the plug on the cord). The advantage is that if that appliance is defective, the only thing it affects is itself.

Last edited:

Chris75

Electrician
Reaction score
Switches are rated for the load not the breaker size... thats why you can use a 15 amp switch... Most Fan/Heaters instructions require a 20 amp circuit but the heater only draws 1500 watts, thats 12.5 amps, way below a 15 amp switch.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Okay, thanks!!

Is there a problem using a standard stacked switch, instead of the OEM modular replacement? It seems to be working just fine.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Leviton makes stacked 20A switches

5627 - spst
5640 - 3-way

each is about $30 list

also:

5636 - combo switch & receptacle (spst only)

all in Decora style, of course.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks Mikey et al.

I'll stick with the 15 amp gizmo, since it's working fine, and according to Chris, it's only pulling 12.5 amps anyway. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks