Question about soldering 1/4” copper

Users who are viewing this thread

Davud

Reaction score
Hello. The supply line for my HVAC’s humidifier is 1/4” copper. After reading that saddle valves are almost universally panned by the pros, I’m avoiding going that route to tie it in to my main supply. I’m going to tee off an adjacent hot line (1/2”), then install a shutoff valve (also 1/2”), then planned to sweat a 1/2” to 1/4” reducer to make the final connection.

However, I haven’t found much info on sweating 1/4”. Most of the conversations discuss using compression fittings. I’m not opposed to compression fittings, but is there anything wrong Wuth soldering? Or maybe more complicated than it’s worth? (I did read on another thread where a member said you can’t use regular solder for 1/4”. But I honestly have no idea)

In general, if all things are equal, I’d prefer to solder than use compression fittings, but will ultimately do what makes the most sense.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and happy Presidents Weekend.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would pick up a compression shutoff that outputs 1/4" OD
They've worked fine for decades. You can also solder using no-lead solder if that's your preference. Where do you find the reducing couplings for that though?

Davud

Reaction score
I would pick up a compression shutoff that outputs 1/4" OD
They've worked fine for decades. You can also solder using no-lead solder if that's your preference. Where do you find the reducing couplings for that though?
Thanks for the fast reply Terry.

This is where I found the fittings:
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper.html#reducingcoupling

Incidentally, I’ll go with the compression fittings though. It’s good to know I could solder, if need be, but if the man himself vouches for compression fittings, I’m happy to go that route. :)

Thanks again,

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Terry who ever told you

"(I did read on another thread where a member said you can’t use regular solder for 1/4”. But I honestly have no idea)"

Is giving you erroneous information .

When installing pneumatic lines for air handlers the Johnson controllers or Leslie valves on step down steam stations we normally brazed these lines but others just soldered it . Not happy with compression where vibration may occur

As long as someone knows about capillary attraction (action) and doesn't apply to much alloy there should no problem Also even a capillary tube can be flared which is a lot stronger then compression

Davud

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Sylvan.

Here is where I read that “regular” solder may not work. It sounds as though he is misinformed though.
The first reply:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/solder-fitting-for-1-4-o-d-copper-tubing.59517/

I ordered a compression fitting last night, so I’m going with that for now. But good to know soldering, with regular no-lead solder, will work in the future.

I guess personally, my initial concern was with the ID of a 1/4” line being so small as it is, if I used an excessive amount of solder, it might get “sucked” into the the fitting to the point where it partially obstructed the line. I’m pretty new to plumbing. I’ve soldered about 50 or so fittings and all well so far (at least two years leak-free “well”). But I’ve never seen the inside of my work to know if I’m applying too much, let alone if excessive solder even can get sucked into the line itself. Is that possible?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks