Question about Price Phister valves and replacement trim

Users who are viewing this thread

RaccoonDeb

Reaction score
Hi Terry -

We're wanting to make some changes in the bathroom, but we want to know what we're getting into before we start buying things.

We currently have in our shower (NO tub) a trim kit like this one: LASCO-Simpatico 31641A Price Pfister Shower Trim Kit. To turn the water on, we need to pull the knob out, then we adjust the temp by turning it.

We would like to change it to this one which has a handle that turns the water on and you adjust the temp by rotating the handle: Pfister Serrano Shower Trim R89-1SRK. The online installation instructions say that it only works with the 0X8 valve.

I don't know what valve we currently have, but based on the above info, can you tell me if the valve we have might be compatible with the new trim kit, or do we need to change it? If we need to change it, will it require opening the wall (tile demo) or is it likely that we will be able to change it without doing that?

Also, I'm confused because in the picture of the 0X8 valve I found online, it looks like there might be an opening for a connection to run to the tub. Are there different versions of the valve?

Thanks for any help you can give us. If necessary, we can just get another trim kit like the one we have, but we'd really prefer the handle option for simplicity in operation and clean lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you want to add pressure balancing, and change to the new trim, you will need to change the valve in the wall.
Those valves come with both a shower and tub outlet. For a shower, we just cap or plug the lower tub outlet. Depending on your situation, you may be able to change the valve without removing tile. It gets pretty dicey though. If more room is needed, you can pick up a remodel plate, that allows a bigger cut.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks