Question about plumbing under bathroom sink

Users who are viewing this thread

kaeyreed

Reaction score
Our house was built in 1973. The drain pipe for the sink come out of a wall that is to the left of the vanity. We are installing a new vanity and it is just a little to low for this pipe.(The pipe is too high) Our question is can we put p trap directly on this pipe that comes out of wall and then attach horizontal pipe to take the pipe over to the area for the sink or does the p trap have to be directly under the sink in order to work? If we can put p trap or u shaped pipe off of the pipe that comes out of the wall it will go underneath the vanity and we will be okay. If not, we are in trouble. I hope I have explained this correctly. There would be about 6 inch pipe extending from wall which would be attached to u shaped or p trap. This would be attached to a horizontal pipe that would then run about 10 to 12 inches into curved piece that would then be attached to pipe coming from sink. Would this work? Thank you very much.:eek:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The trap should be directly under the sink drain...then swivel the U-bend and use a 45 or 22 on the arm from the trap, to make the connection to the pipe at the wall.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the horizontal pipe going to the wall drops more that 1/4" per foot between the weir of the trap and the vent in the wall, the installation would not be allowed. The code is very specific in this regard as doing it wrong will cause the trap to siphon and sewer gas to enter the house through the drain.

Without seeing your installation I don't know what your best option is, but often it will be to remove and re-position the fitting in the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the pipe in the wall is too high, as you stated, there is no way you will have sufficient room between the top of the trap and the bottom of the sink drain to make an offset like that. In most cases, it will be easier to offset the trap under the sink than to try to pipe from the sink to the trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks