Question about PEX and Rodents

Users who are viewing this thread

Kubstix

Reaction score
I am currently demoing my garage ceiling (drop ceiling) in order to replace insulation in ceiling and doing 5/8 sheetrock (living space above). I currently have CPVC in my house and I am replacing my entire house with Uponor. My main line from the well tank to the back of the garage where my filters are going to be mounted is roughly 20 feet and is 1" PEX. I am going to be running parallel with a joist and going over the top of my main support beam (I have about a 6 inch clearance above beam and joists) where I will drop down in the back of the garage. Once this is sheetrocked, that's it. My question is has anyone ever ran a 1" line inside another line like perhaps a 1 1/2 PVC pipe or a 1.25" galvanized pipe or something of this sort? I want to make 100% sure I am rodent protected because I would hate to have to cut into sheetrock in the future. Thank You.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I think that's a good idea.

I suppose you could also use a foam insulation sleeve (which Uponor says is OK to come in contact with the PEX) and then wrap the insulation with something the rodents don't like.

John

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
....My question is has anyone ever ran a 1" line inside another line like perhaps a 1 1/2 PVC pipe or a 1.25" galvanized pipe or something of this sort? I want to make 100% sure I am rodent protected because I would hate to have to cut into sheetrock in the future. Thank You.

Good idea but will there be any bends? If yes then use electrical PVC conduit at the bends. Comes in all sizes and white PVC and electrical PVC are sized the same.

carlon-conduit-fittings-ua9ahb-ctn-64_145.jpg

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've had rodents chew right thru PVC, ABS, and PEX piping (stored, not in use). Squirrels will also chew the bejabbers out of plastic items,
if they get the chance. If I had to protect my piping from vermin, I'd use flexible metal conduit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks