Question about older Delta 1300/1400 cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

roflwaffle

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently replaced this cartridge with a RP19804, which works fine, but it bugs me that I couldn't find replacement washers for the back end of the old cartridge that fit's into the hot/cold passageways in the wall.

I first replaced the seats/springs inside the original cartridge, and that did nothing for the leak. I then took the old cartridge to the store and the o-rings seemed to match up best with #235 o-rings at the store, but those unfortunately don't fit (smidge too too large).

At that point I bought the replacement cartridge, so everything's working, but it seems like a waste to replace a whole cartridge when I can just replace a couple o-rings.

Does anyone know what size o-ring would likely fit the older cartridge?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
No, because I NEVER waste time trying to repair a cartridge.

delta-cartridge-summary.jpg

monitor-1300-1400-parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Collick

Still learning.
Reaction score
Website
www.bestrooterservice.com
No, because I NEVER waste time trying to repair a cartridge.
Yep, if it's my own house and I'm feeling stingy with absolutely nothing better to do than waste my own time, maybe. But it's soooo much easier to just replace the cartridge, make one trip to the store, you get a new warranty for the new cartridge, and then do something else with the time you just saved. :)

roflwaffle

Reaction score
Yep, if it's my own house and I'm feeling stingy with absolutely nothing better to do than waste my own time, maybe. But it's soooo much easier to just replace the cartridge, make one trip to the store, you get a new warranty for the new cartridge, and then do something else with the time you just saved. :)
I can see that. I've had a few free warranty items sent my way from waterridge, and it's convenient, but the idea of chucking a good cartridge just because the o-rings are old is irritatingly wasteful too.

For me, the time isn't as much of an issue b/c I like learning about new things, like plumbing, but that's definitely something someone else might not have the patience for.

Daniel Collick

Still learning.
Reaction score
Website
I can see that. I've had a few free warranty items sent my way from waterridge, and it's convenient, but the idea of chucking a good cartridge just because the o-rings are old is irritatingly wasteful too.

For me, the time isn't as much of an issue b/c I like learning about new things, like plumbing, but that's definitely something someone else might not have the patience for.
Sure, if it's my own, that's the opportunity to learn stuff, as you said. My wife and I still live in an apartment and I tore apart our whole kitchen faucet. But, now it works better than it ever has. Unfortunately, the "learning process" took me about an hour or so and it was probably a $30 faucet, so I don't think I could've justified charging a customer $90/hr + $50 service call to repair a $30 faucet but you know how it goes.

Daniel Collick

Still learning.
Reaction score
Website
Haha, yeah... I wish I was making $90/hour. I imagine my perspective on quite a few things would be different.
Well, sorry, that's not what I MAKE. That's the residential hourly rate for the company that I work for. Company overhead gobbles most of that up. $150 per hour is common in my area. But most of the other shops are flat rate or "up front" pricing and my shop isn't. I think all the plumbers that I've spoken to like the flat rate system. I don't think my employer wants to invest in someone else's flat rate system/software or whatever it is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks