Question about new softener and Drain Install

Users who are viewing this thread

Rtguy057

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help in advance. I've been reading post after post in here trying to learn as much as possible before I purchase a system for my house. I tested my water with the Hach 5b system I read about on here. It's city water and 8gpg. Only two of us here. So I'm thinking a system in the 24k-32k range would be plenty. Was eying the Fleck 5600sxt. Any feedback on that system for my needs?

Another question is in regards to the drain. There is no sewer line next to the plumbing loop installed by the builder in my garage. However on the opposite wall of the garage there is a clean out near groundlevel and the pipe leads up to the laundry. I'm thinking to tap that line by adding a tee or wye with no hub bands above the clean out and making a small trap/stand pipe external to the wall. The ceilings are 9'6" and the run across the garage is 20', and another 5-7' to where the pipe runs up the wall. Is this an acceptable distance and is 1/2" pvc ok?

Strange thing is I noticed my neighbor a few doors down has a salt based system so I knocked on his door to question him about the drain. He had no clue and apparently leases the system monthly. I inspected it briefly and the drain line(pvc) was plumbed thru a wall vent and went into the ground outside of his garage. Our homes are all new construction and there are no sewer lines or drain pipes buried there to tap. Is it possible to plumb directly into the ground?? I highly doubt that's even legal in LA County.

Thanks for any help.

Reach4

Reaction score
So I'm thinking a system in the 24k-32k range would be plenty. Was eying the Fleck 5600sxt. Any feedback on that system for my needs?
Those are big enough unless you use water at a high rate. I like the 1.5 cubic ft "48000 grain" size, but the 1 cubic ft or even smaller would be sufficient. I like the Fleck 5600SXT for good reliable moderately priced systems.

The ceilings are 9'6" and the run across the garage is 20', and another 5-7' to where the pipe runs up the wall. Is this an acceptable distance and is 1/2" pvc ok?
1/2 inch PVC is probably fine, but it would usually be easier to run 3/4 flexible tubing. 1/2 inch flexible tubing is probably fine too.

Do you have a laundry tub or floor drain? You could run the drain there. Putting in a standpipe works, but you need to do the venting too.

Rtguy057

Reaction score
Those are big enough unless you use water at a high rate. I like the 1.5 cubic ft "48000 grain" size, but the 1 cubic ft or even smaller would be sufficient. I like the Fleck 5600SXT for good reliable moderately priced systems.

1/2 inch PVC is probably fine, but it would usually be easier to run 3/4 flexible tubing. 1/2 inch flexible tubing is probably fine too.

Do you have a laundry tub or floor drain? You could run the drain there. Putting in a standpipe works, but you need to do the venting too.

thanks for the reply.
Our water usage is fairly low. Based on my research here and water use experienced over a one year period, I came up with my sizing. Highest average use on a 2 month billing cycle was 193 gallons per day. 193 x 8gpg = 1544. I figured the 32 system would be a bit better and not excessively oversized.

No sink in the garage and my laundry room is on the 2nd floor. The pipe I'm considering tapping into is the pipe for the laundry drain. My plan was to open the wall and tap into it. I was just worried about the vertical distance (probably about 5' from the valve) to the ceiling and the 20 ' horizontal run

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
No problem running the drain pipe up 5 feet and over 20. Of course a proper air gap is required. As to tapping into the drain pipe, a simple sanitary tee and no hub connectors... should be fairly easy but check your local codes (insert standard disclaimer her...)

Bannerman

Reaction score
As mentioned, an air gap would be required thereby also requiring a 'P' trap to prevent sewer gas discharge into the living space & garage wall cavity.

You mention your water usage is fairly low but 193 gallons per day for only two people is considerable. With newer, efficient appliances and fixtures, water usage is typically estimated as 60 gallons/person/day excluding water used for irrigation which is not normally softened.

U.S. Filter Pros

http://www.usfilterpros.com/
Reaction score
Website
www.usfilterpros.com
The vertical distance shouldn't be a concern for you. We're in SoCal as well (San Diego) and run the line up multiple stories on occasion so you are safe there. The Fleck 5600SXT system is a reliable, efficient unit and at a great price. The 48,000 grain unit is by far the most popular, simply because the price difference is so minimal between the two (we sell the 32,000 at $550 and the 48,000 at $600), so the system will just regenerate less often, save a little water and have less wear and tear on the unit. We fully endorse the Fleck units, the 5 year warranty on the head and 10 year warranty on the tanks is great.

http://www.usfilterpros.com/

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Actually the height has absolute limits. It is a simple equation of pressure based on height. We usually recommend no more than 15 feet up without having to do any calculation. Past 15 feet up some math work based on the incoming water pressure needs to be considered.

The basics: each 2 feet of height = 1 psi of back pressure (this is not perfect, just a simple way to estimate). The venturi injector works off of differential pressure and low water pressure can cause problems with the drain height. ie: 20 feet of pipe rise on the drain with only 30 psi of incoming pressure leaves only 20 PSI of available pressure for the inlet side of the venturi injection system. Obviously higher pressure are advantageous to higher drain heights.

Rtguy057

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice here. Ended up with a Fleck 5810sxt 1.5cf system with 10% resin after chatting with dittohead. System works great. Ran a 3/4" pvc drain line up to the ceiling and across. No issue there either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks