Question about moving pressure gauges for better reading

Users who are viewing this thread

C Wolford

Reaction score
Installing water filter, with bypass. I have a 2 T(s) I will be putting pressure gauges in one before and one after.

instead of screwing the gauge in to the T with an adapter, could I run pex line from that T where I would have the pressure gauges installed, to another spot a few feet away that would make reading the pressure gauges easier?

aka a pressure gauges attached to the T but on a lead.

Thanks for your time

Reach4

Reaction score
The reading will be great. I don't think people do it, but having a provision for sanitizing makes sense.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Correct, it is called a dead leg in plumbing. You should avid doing this but it is not always feasible. The water will sit in that section of tubing.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Installing water filter, with bypass...
Is the bypass built into the filter housing or will you make your own with fittings and a valve? If you make your own, then mount the valve between the two gauges and it will flush the lines whenever the valve is opened.

C Wolford

Reaction score
after reading the comments, and my own current thoughts on dead legs and questions I had about them. It hit me I was creating a dead leg, as dittohead pointed out. I think this is what Reach4 was gettting at with "provision for sanitizing". It seems this Idea is a good one, but may require more money for a auto purge system, or may require knowledge and skills That are out of my reach. I will see if I can rearrange appliances or placement of pipes so It will allow for easy reading. Unless someone can point me to techniques to handle a "sense line" with "provision for sanitizing". I will google this. I know there is not much in the DIY books about out of normal applications. the one plumbing course book I have is not a lot of use with out correct terms. Anyways thank you all for your input.

Questions about dead legs:
How do we not get any ill effects from:
A house bib not being used for so long?
A kitchen sink spray house not being used but full of watter?
A water filter bypass that sits for 6 months to 1 year?

Reach4

Reaction score
but may require more money for a auto purge system,
If you were to provide such a provision, there would be no need for it to be automated. I figure to sanitize maybe every two years. It seems to me that a small drain valve teed in at the gauge would let you feed the disinfecting water thru the pipe/tube.

When you sanitize, you make it a point to run the treated water through all paths including the humidifier tubing, and certainly hose spigots. Basically open the valve until you detect treated water. Some use the nose. I use test paper. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/ is my sanitizing write-up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks