Question about mixing 4 inch pipe types?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by SteveL720, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. SteveL720

    SteveL720 New Member

    Jan 14, 2007
    I have some cracks and holes in my sewer line leaving my house. I have exposed the parts that need replaced and have purchased what I think I need. I have a 4" 45 degree angle, a 4" coupler, a 2 foot section of 4" pvc pipe that I will cut down to what I need, and of course pvc glue. My question is, the new parts seem to be larger then the existing parts. The old 4" pipe says Type PSM ASTM D30334. The new 4" pipe says Type 1 SCH 40 ASTM D2665. I can tell the new parts are thicker but will these pieces fit when I cut out the broken section and use the new parts. My thinking was 4" fits with 4", but I don't want to find out the new coupler won't fit tightly over the older Type PSM 4" pipe. Please help before I jump in to this project. Thanks!
  2. nimrod

    nimrod master plumber

    Jan 14, 2007
    master plumber
    the pipe you bought is schedule 40 pvc the existing pipe you have is 3034 ,sdr35 also know as thin wall sewer pipe . you can mix the two with 4'' ferncos or go buy the right pipe , you will still need the fernco to complete the repair .
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    s&d pipe

    A good plumbing supply store will have "bushings" for the ends of the thin pipe to increase its diameter to that of sch. 40.
  5. markts30

    markts30 Commercial Plumber

    Sep 25, 2006
    Commercial Plumber
    Phoenix, AZ
    They also make transition banded fittings for the different diameter pipes...
  6. solsacre

    solsacre Plumber

    Nov 16, 2006
    As long as the ID (inside diamater) is the same, and you line up the parts well it'll work great. but getting the right pipe or the proper bushings to "up size" the 3034 is better.

    as long as the s*** goes down-hill and your not making a leak or a spot to catch "stuff"............. it'll work great.

    good luck

Similar Threads: Question mixing
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Mixing Valve question Apr 22, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Question on TOTO Entrada Elongated Yesterday at 2:48 PM
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Washer standpipe/drain/vent questions Saturday at 8:14 AM
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Have a circulator question for my new Radiant System Oct 15, 2017
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Sewer or Water Crossing Question Oct 8, 2017

Share This Page