Question about installing tub spout with shower diverter system - conflicting info from Brizo - Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

729zoom

Reaction score
Hi,

I want desperately to use a Brizo collection (Invari) as it is by far and away the most perfect for the design of the bathroom, tile, etc. for my bathroom remodel. But I am running into a potential big problem and need advice.

I have a tub shower combo and want to include a hand shower. Invari doesn't offer a combo fixed/handheld so need to plumb for a fixed and separate handheld shower heads. Normally, the R60000 rough (has tub port) with the R60700 diverter rough would be the set up, and what we used when we redid my mom's bathroom. But, Invari doesn't offer diverter trim and no other collections with the same finish to substitute. I could get a separate rough with handles for the tub spout and tee off the water supply to plumb for the shower components. Big pain in the butt because I would need to also widen the bay and much more expensive.
OR
Invari does make trim for the integrated shower rough with a diverter built in but there is no tub port. However, a Brizo rep told me I could use one of the 3 ports of the built in diverter to plumb to a non diverter tub spout and use a non shared diverter cartridge - one setting for the tub, one for the fixed shower and one for the handheld. BUT, two other Brizo reps are telling me bad idea and not recommended because there is a risk of low or no flow to the tub. ?? YET, one of the bullet pointed "features" of the spout states here, "Can be installed with shower diverter systems." And in the install instructions here it states "RP78582, RP81435, RP90567, RP92041 & RP100328 Non-diverter tub spouts can be used with shower diverter systems." The spout I would use would be the last one.
Why would Brizo state under "features" that this spout can be installed like this if there is a potential problem? The rep that told me OK didn't mention it but the other two reps told me I was taking a risk.
So, I thought I would ask real world plumbers what their thoughts were and if there are any install suggesstions to avoid any issues. Now is the time to ask, learn and do before the plumbing starts.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
When a tub spout page states that it "can be used with shower diverter systems", that is simply a pure statement good for nothing reliable in your case.
The design of any mfr's 3 port diverter has definite flow characteristics that we always want to pay serious attention to.
We often need to get clarification from a good rep, like you have done.
If you can get Invari with thermostatic valve and 6-Function Diverter trim, then you'd be ok...but, know: the tub will not fill fast.
I find Brizo to have nice trim, but really, it is just Delta mid level, functional, works just nicer lipstick. AND their website is not well designed...so we make the customer work with showroom and figure it out...too much time waste for me. Sorry.

Last edited:

729zoom

Reaction score
When a tub spout page states that it "can be used with shower diverter systems", that is simply a pure statement good for nothing reliable in your case.
The design of any mfr's 3 port diverter has definite flow characteristics that we always want to pay serious attention to.
We often need to get clarification from a good rep, like you have done.
If you can get Invari with thermostatic valve and 6-Function Diverter trim, then you'd be ok...but, know: the tub will not fill fast.
I find Brizo to have nice trim, but really, it is just Delta mid level functional works with nice lipstick. AND their website is not well designed...so we make the customer work with showroom and figure it out...too much time waste for me. Sorry.
Thank you for responding. I was told to get the thermostatic valve with the 6 function diverter trim and to swap the cartridge for a non shared 3 function. I am assuming the non shared 3 way cartridge will work OK with the 6 function trim since it was suggested by Brizo but wondering if there is any reason to just keep the 6 function cartridge? The 3 function non shared would be simpler to use. Can you tell me if setting the integrated valve lower - closer to the tub spout - would help prevent low flow issues? Is there any risk of having no flow as one rep warned? And I kept asking, why would Brizo say it this spout's features allow for this set up if there were any big issues? And their other spouts don't say they can be used with shower diverters when I checked. So, it makes me think that there is something different about the Invari spout and maybe why they don't offer the trim for a separate diverter, because you can do this instead? What is the most frustrating is getting the conflicting info, though. One Brizo rep said it could be done and never said any issue. And the other two said the opposite.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Thank you for responding. I was told to get the thermostatic valve with the 6 function diverter trim and to swap the cartridge for a non shared 3 function. I am assuming the non shared 3 way cartridge will work OK with the 6 function trim since it was suggested by Brizo but wondering if there is any reason to just keep the 6 function cartridge? The 3 function non shared would be simpler to use. Can you tell me if setting the integrated valve lower - closer to the tub spout - would help prevent low flow issues? Is there any risk of having no flow as one rep warned? And I kept asking, why would Brizo say it this spout's features allow for this set up if there were any big issues? And their other spouts don't say they can be used with shower diverters when I checked. So, it makes me think that there is something different about the Invari spout and maybe why they don't offer the trim for a separate diverter, because you can do this instead? What is the most frustrating is getting the conflicting info, though. One Brizo rep said it could be done and never said any issue. And the other two said the opposite.
Sorry, I don't know the answers as I have not had my hands on doing the particulars of that Delta multi function set.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks