Question about Installing a Threaded Valve - Not Sure How Tight It Should Be

Users who are viewing this thread

Cai24

Reaction score
I am replacing two threaded 1/2" boiler valves, and I'm unsure of how tight they should be. I know with faucets that I've changed, the instructions often say something like hand tight and then 1/4-1/2 turn with a wrench. I haven't changed many valves before, so I don't have a lot of experience. My plan is to apply Teflon tape, then thread sealant, and then tighten them. I just don't know how tight they're supposed to be, other than I know it's bad to bottom out the threads. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
At least one more turn after hand tight. And frankly, it has become a feel thing and I'm not ever sure how close I am with that. Threads are not all cut the same. Close, but not exact.
Also, hand tight depends on how strong someone is, and how much leverage is available to you.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
There should be between 3 and 5 threads showing when your done.

Or

You turn the water on, if it's leaking turn it again.

Cai24

Reaction score
Terry & John - Thank you for the input. This is very helpful to me. I appreciate it.

Cai24

Reaction score
I replaced the valves earlier today. Unfortunately, I ran into a problem removing the old ones. I couldn't get them to budge with a normal wrench but finally was able to do so using a pipe wrench. I wasn't expecting them to give me as much trouble as they did. I was rushing to get the water turned back on, and I feel like I did a really poor/sloppy job. I may have also overtightened the hot water side. The only positive is that there were no leaks. I'm wondering if I should remove the valves, clean everything, and redo the work. On the exposed threads, I can see the teflon tape, and the pipe dope looks really messy. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to apply it on all of the threads, and if so, if it should be left or wiped off at the end. The reason I used both PTFE tape and dope is because I've read that this can help prevent leaks. This was only my second time working with threaded fittings, so I am definitely an amateur. I just feel like if someone looks at my work, they'll view it as a total hack job.

IMG_5711.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe its the blue tape I'm not crazy about the look but its usually thick good tape. Your work looks fine plus fact it doesn't leak , you were able and willing to do yourself says a lot !

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks