Question about Honeywell T87k thermostat

Users who are viewing this thread

Adm

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just replaced an old H-well round mercury thermostat with a new T87k heat only because the old one's room temp indicator was stuck on 72. I installed the new according to the the directions and set the dip switch to 2 on and left 1 off as indicated in the instructions, but now my heat short cycles.

I have an oil fired hydronic monoflow with cast iron baseboards if that helps... the instructions say dip switch 2 on for "water" heat, is there a different setting to lengthen the heating cycle, or should I just re-install the old one?

TIA for any advice...

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
What is your short cycle time? Set the thermostat to 80 or so and time it. The setting OFF-ON is 3 Cycles per hour, OFF-OFF is 5 cycle per hour. IS there an outside temperature sensor?

Every thermostat has a cycle rate. The purpose of cycle rate is to keep a room's temperature even — never noticeably hot or cold, even though sometimes the equipment is on and sometimes off. Electronic thermostats have a cycle rate adjustment built into them. That's easier, but less fun, than setting the anticipator.

Google "why do thermostat have cycles per hour". Plenty of comments

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks