Question about hiring someone for Plumbing Rough-in

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyson Chaplin

Reaction score
Question for plumbers:

Is it common to hire a plumber just for rough-in of the waste pipes for a Master Bathroom Remodel or is that rude or a waste of the plumbers time? Is it all or nothing? Do permits require you do ALL plumbing?

I consider myself pretty handy and capable. I'm planning a remodel, just put in for permits and I'm trying to "mentally" schedule the timeline for each phase. AND I'm starting to realize that it is probably safer and more efficient to hire a plumber for the rough in of the waste lines, with the venting, installing test tees for isolating for the stand tests etc ...

My house has PEXa stubbed to copper and I have experience with that but need help with the waste lines, tying them into the existing plumbing of the house... Nothing is crazy far away and it seems pretty straight forward but having a pro do it is starting to sound like a better idea.

For extra info, it is running a new 2" shower drain from Second floor to crawl(I have confirmed the route and will have the wall open for access), tying into existing vent. Then reconfiguring the WC, LAV(used to be shower) and Tub set up and tying into an existing attic vent.

Located in Bothell, Wa (the hometown of Love Plumbing).

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Im a very small plumbing contractor . I think most wouldnt be too interested . mostly unliscenced or guys looking for a side job moonlighting . But Id do a job like that. and others would too . Dont know how it work out with permits Id probebly just write a contract that stated owner will do certain work and that I accept no responceability beyond the rough stage.
I dont think its rude . Ive done work where homeowner pulled permit that might make it a little more palatable for someone worried about being liable for the job.

Tyson Chaplin

Reaction score
Im a very small plumbing contractor . I think most wouldnt be too interested . mostly unliscenced or guys looking for a side job moonlighting . But Id do a job like that. and others would too . Dont know how it work out with permits Id probebly just write a contract that stated owner will do certain work and that I accept no responceability beyond the rough stage.
I dont think its rude . Ive done work where homeowner pulled permit that might make it a little more palatable for someone worried about being liable for the job.

Thanks Jeff for the quick response. I just want to make sure I'm not wasting someones time by even calling. In my area, the trades are super busy and I would just hate to waste a persons time. Especially being a DIYer... I have already submitted for permits as if I'm doing the work but I'm sure they can be altered/amended. I'm sure the city would appreciate a Pro doing the work anyways... haha.

I'm going to reach out to a couple plumbers; Terry is located locally and I will give him a call. I was just curious to get an idea of what plumbers thought. Thank you for the response!

-Tyson

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
tell them over phone befor they come out. that you just want it roughed in no waste of time .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks