Question about headlights

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
The battery is not dead, lol. An 04 Hyundai. Don't know if the high beams are working or not. I have a feeling they aren't, but, don't know that for sure.

I am working on Bob's party list. :)

Cookie

Reaction score
Well, I already have coming, 2 dogs both with 4 legs, one dog with 3 legs, 2 cats, one nearly blind, one nearly deaf, and, then, depending on if my one girlfriend is bringing all her kids, it would total 6 kids, 6 adults, and, the Birthday Cat & his eye-seeing cat friend, Tom Tom. ( named after the GPS system)

And, one guniea pig that is older than Bob.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The battery is not dead, lol. An 04 Hyundai. Don't know if the high beams are working or not. I have a feeling they aren't, but, don't know that for sure.

It is most likely the headlamp relay. Power comes from the Green 40 amp fusable link to the 20 amp headlight fuse in the fuse box. If you have power on both sides of that fuse, then it's the relay or a break in the wire going to the relay.

The headlamp relay is located in the underhood electrical box. There are three relays on one side (engine side) of the box and it's the forward most relay.

DonL

Reaction score
Well, I already have coming, 2 dogs both with 4 legs, one dog with 3 legs, 2 cats, one nearly blind, one nearly deaf, and, then, depending on if my one girlfriend is bringing all her kids, it would total 6 kids, 6 adults, and, the Birthday Cat & his eye-seeing cat friend, Tom Tom. ( named after the GPS system)

And, one guniea pig that is older than Bob.

I get it my little Black Kitty Poo is not invited...

Why are people so raciest ?

Cookie

Reaction score
I am off tomorrow, so I will pop open his lid and see if I can find it. If I can find it, I will take the part out, ( pulls out?) and, then, take it to AutoZone. Thank you all.

Cookie

Reaction score
We already got a black one coming, lol. 2 oranges, 1 black, 1 calico. Little Sohie is her name and she is great. She belongs to my neighbor down the road, but, you wouldn't know that.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The headlamp circuit varies a quite a bit from one model of Hyundai to another, and the cars with daytime running lamps are different than the cars that came without. Some models used high/low beam relays, and some did not

There are fuses in the underhood fuse block, but they are seperate for left and right, so both of them being blown is not likely. Fuses don't blow without good reason anyway.

The on/off and dimmer switches control the ground side of the circuit. A quick and non-technical check is to try is to wiggle, shake, and gently "torque" the switches to see if you can get any sign of lights. The dimmer switch is one of the more likely items to fail, and could cause no headlights.

Cookie

Reaction score
Okay, that is my deer. That is Little Timmy, who is not so little anymore, but, he still wants to get in the house, and of course, Bob wants out, no one gets their own way. lol. Little timmy might come by later he usually does. It was cool when he brought his own family once. I thought I was posting Sophie. lol, oh well.

What would make the fuse blow? I will copy the instructions and take it outside with me tomorrow. Thank you.

I think, his model is an Elantra.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it is an Elantra, there are seperate 15 amp fuses for high beam and low beam, and a 3rd 20 amp fuse that feeds the relays. If the 20 amp fuse is blown, neither the high or low beams will work.

Try wiggling the switches first though. Fuses don't normally blow unless there is a short in the wiring.

Cookie

Reaction score
I will print that out too, lol. I love printers. :) Come in handy. So, replace all the fuses? Now, about the short, I don't like that. How can I fix that? Find out if it is shorted?

Long time ago, I parked my car, back then, a stationwagon, on the side of school where the elementary students were at, basketball court on the other side of it. Well, I parked the car, went to shut if off and smelled smoke. Wow. I opened the lid, and, out poured flames. Not good. The kids were screaming inside, basketballs went flying, and I shut the lid again, and ran. There was a gas station one place over and I ran there, and they came and put it out, saying, it was a short, which they fixed.

I don't want this happening to my son.

DonL

Reaction score
Okay, that is my deer. That is Little Timmy, who is not so little anymore, but, he still wants to get in the house, and of course, Bob wants out, no one gets their own way. lol. Little timmy might come by later he usually does. It was cool when he brought his own family once. I thought I was posting Sophie. lol, oh well.

What would make the fuse blow? I will copy the instructions and take it outside with me tomorrow. Thank you.

I think, his model is an Elantra.

When You pop the Fuse Box cover it should tell you what Fuse/Relay does What.

Look for the one that says HeadLamps...lol.

That deer is so cute. You are very Blessed.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
When I wiggle the switches, what am I doing this for and looking for? Not flames right? I don't like flames. That is why I am good and will go eventually, to the 'cool" place.

Cookie

Reaction score
He is big these days. He comes around in the early morning or at about 1:30am. If I go outside he is usually, there, so, I feed him. But, he rubs his antlers on my legs, and even though he is huge, he is very gentle. He has grown up here. I remember someone telling me, when he was little that I should keep him in the basement. The basement? Why would I want a deer living in my basement? I would make the Hoarders tv show. lol. He is happy outside. Bob, is happy inside. And, yes, I do agree, I am blessed Don. I love animals. People I tolerate, lol. This pic is from the morning he was born. It was hot, and I put this box over him to shield him from the sun. On the flip side of the box which you can't see I wrote something, as usual, always trying to make a buck... I wrote: see the buck for a buck. lol, and, someone taped a buck on the box, :)

When You pop the Fuse Box cover it should tell you what Fuse/Relay does What.

Look for the one that says HeadLamps...lol.

That deer is so cute. You are very Blessed.

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Someone needs to watch to see if the lights flicker, flash, etc, while you "wiggle" the switches.
If wiggling a switch causes that to happen, it is the problem.

I wouldn't replace anything unless I have proven it is faulty. Fuses and relays can be tested.

Just like with plumbing, there comes a point where professional help makes sense.

Cookie

Reaction score
So, if the lights flicker then, the switch might need replaced? Is that something a mechanic should do?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Attn all motor people,

If both your headlights go out at the same time, which is it most likely to be, the bulbs or a fuse? Which would you do or check first?

Thank you.
:)
The cold weather usually causes the headlights to turn on.

Cookie

Reaction score
Going to run this by you all. Son called and while he was at work, his girlfriend's dad, replaced the lightbulbs, and it works. He did have high beams... not low beams. Her dad only replaced the bulbs. I am grateful to this man for being so good to my son, yet, I need to ask, being they both blew, and both high beams were working, but, not the lows, does it sound like this is all it was? I really like my kid. lol.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Like I said before, he was probably driving with one for some time and never noticed. 2 bulbs blowing at once would not be a common occurrence.

The good news is that it's working and it didn't cost more that the car is worth.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks