Question about flow rate and pipe diameter...

Users who are viewing this thread

TDawwg

Reaction score
Hi there!

I am remodeling my bathroom and I'm hoping to get a higher flow rate to fill our bathtub quicker. Currently we get about 5Gpm.

The pipes to our water heater are 3/4" Galvanized Steel, and there are 15 foot runs of 3/4" galvanized off the water heater before the pipes transition to 1/2" PEX at the bathroom group. The 1/2" PEX from the Galvanized to the tub is about 10 feet.

Now, my question is this: Do I need to replace the entire run (including the run to the water heater) to get the benefits of increased flow? Or do I only need to replace the 1/2" pex with 3/4" pex for that? Accessibility is not a problem, so I could replace the whole system after the water heater easily.

I guess I'm just struggling to understand what benefit a diameter increase will do at any point if the rest of the pipes are confined to 3/4"

Also, I plan to replace all the galvanized at some point, but would rather put it off if I don't need to do it now!

Reach4

Reaction score
Now, my question is this: Do I need to replace the entire run (including the run to the water heater) to get the benefits of increased flow? Or do I only need to replace the 1/2" pex with 3/4" pex for that? Accessibility is not a problem, so I could replace the whole system after the water heater easily.
Water pressures add.

The flow is not determined by the smallest diameter. It's like resistors: a circuit with a 1000 ohm resistor in series with a 470 ohm resistor will have less resistance than a 1000 ohm resistor in series with another 1000 ohm resistor.

TDawwg

Reaction score
Thanks for that analogy! Just to verify that I understand, that means (assuming the ID of the galvanized isn't rusted beyond the ID of the PEX) I would see benefit by only replacing the 1/2" PEX with 3/4" PEX. Right? Now, the valve for the tub is a 1/2" valve. Do I need to replace the valve with a 3/4" valve?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for that analogy! Just to verify that I understand, that means (assuming the ID of the galvanized isn't rusted beyond the ID of the PEX) I would see benefit by only replacing the 1/2" PEX with 3/4" PEX. Right? Now, the valve for the tub is a 1/2" valve. Do I need to replace the valve with a 3/4" valve?
Same thinking applies.

Not all 1/2 inch valves or 3/4 valves are the same. A full port 1/2 inch ball valve might have less pressure drop than some 3/4 inch valves. However if th e valve is in the area being replaced anyway, might as well go to a new ball valve with less restriction.

Besides pressure drop, replacing galvanized with PEX means less iron in the water. PEX should be supported every 32 inches. I like the screw-type Talons, because they don't need a good hammer aim. I put a bit in my battery-powered drill. Center the screw into the joist to minimize weakening the joist.
555-23s-3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks