Question about fitting male adapter into backup sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Nav78

Reaction score
Hello I am trying to install the Wayne battery backup sump pump.

The pump has 1.5 inch NPT discharge which is made of metal (female side)

I bought this PVC male adapter to screw into the metal female discharge.

https://www.menards.com/main/p-1444449159934.htm

I am unable to hand tight the adapter more than a single thread or two. It just becomes extremely tight and I am afraid I will strip the thread if I apply more force. Is this normal?

What am I missing? Should I buy a different brand adapter? Did I buy the wrong adapter? Is it supposed to screw only a couple of threads before I use a wrench?

I have tried using plumbers tape on the male adapter and it did not help.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
This can be a thing that has you cursing for hours. Try a different brand, but it's likley you just need to hold your tongue right.

This happens to me every couple of years. You'll know when toy finally get in.

Nav78

Reaction score
Thanks John. What do you mean by “hold your tongue right”. Do you mean just hold the mAle and female sides straight and try a few times?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a quip. Meaning it's beyond your control something isn't perfect. Try to loosen your grip. That helps me sometimes let the threads do the steering.

Me and another guy tried to screw a coupling onto a metal sink base one time. We each tried for about a half an hour each. We ended up walking away from it for a while and came back and it went right in. We weren't holding our tongue the right way.

Nav78

Reaction score
lol sorry didn’t get that at first. Appreciate your patience and response. Thank you again!

Reach4

Reaction score
I expect that the threads on your pump or your adapter are deficient/improper. You could inspect for flaws. Maybe drag a sharp tool, such as a scribe or jewelers screwdriver thru the grooves on the female connection on the pump.

Also, using pipe dope will consume less space vs tape. It's a small thing.

A 1.5 inch npt tap could chase the threads on the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks