Question about cross-connection with a well

Users who are viewing this thread

Super_Dork

Reaction score
I have city water coming into my irrigation system. I've hooked up my well to the irrigation and added shutoff valves for the city and well water so I can toggle between them of the pump ever goes out. I also have a sprinkler backflow valve online with the city water further up the line. Is it legal to keep them connected like this or do I have to physically separate the 2 systems?

Initially we thought the shutoff and valves would be fine but I'm just wanting to be sure.

Here's a picture of the setup. The city water is on the right and well on the left with sprinkler valves in the middle.

F67UoSj.jpg

Also, is there an issue with having messy primer? I got carried away and have had some folks comment about it but wondering it it's a technical issue or just aesthetic.

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, is there an issue with having messy primer? I got carried away and have had some folks comment about it but wondering it it's a technical issue or just aesthetic.
aesthetic.

1. You can dye or paint the pvc. If you search for pvc dye on an auction site, you can find concentrates. You mix the dye with primer, which can be clear primer. For dark colors, which I think you would need, it can be clear or purple primer.

You could also

ThirdGenPump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every city can be different. In my area most municipal supplies will flip their shit it the only thing protecting against cross contamination was a ball valve any home owner could operate. They very specifically want entirely separate systems. The best compromise I can make with them is a removable piece of pipe using 4 unions and 4 ball valves so you need to shut off two valves physically move a piece of pipe then turn the other two on to switch between supplies.

I never point out all someone needs to cross contaminate is a washing machine hose...

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's why I buy clear PVC primer, not the purple primer!

In my state, a lawn sprinkler system has to have an "approved" backflow preventer if it is hooked up to the municipal water system.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should have a backflow preventer on every irrigation system, they are mandatory in CT even with a private well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks