Question about Connecting Ice Maker to Cold Water Line (3/8" PEX to 1/2" Copper)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cai24

Reaction score
I ran a 3/8" PEX line to my ice maker. I was originally planning to use a 1/2" line with an ice maker valve box, but I couldn't navigate the 1/2" around a tight corner bend. In hindsight, I could have used a 90, but I was trying to avoid in-wall crimps. I had considered 1/4", but it's a far run, and I was afraid that water flow would be restricted. I now need to connect this to the 1/2" copper under my sink, and I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

I see that they make a 3/8" PEX x 1/2" Copper Pipe Adapters, so I think that would work. The only issue is that I guess I would have to install a 3/8" x 3/8" shutoff valve, which would mean an additional crimp. I noticed that Sharkbite makes a crimp version (my PEX is Zurn, so I'm not sure if that's a problem). Is there a better, cleaner way to do this? I appreciate any input/advice.

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to connect 3/8 PEX to a 1/2 inch copper pipe that is dedicated to supplying the ice machine? If so, the SharkBite U009LF should be able to do that.
u009lf-3.jpg

You could also solder a 3/8" PEX x 1/2" Copper Pipe Brass Adapter to the copper pipe, and clamp your pex on.
pxca038-050-3.jpg
That will look more professional.

If not, https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/connecting-3-8-pex-to-a-standard-water-shutoff.49336/ may inspire you.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks