Question about Clack value settings

Users who are viewing this thread

Cowdogs

Reaction score
While doing my 1st year service on my water softener and Katalox iron filter, I decided to review the setting on both valves. I just want to stay familiar with how the value works.

The one setting that I may not fully understand is what the value is the salt FILL number. Mine is set to 15lbs. If I change it what does the value do? I see it does not affect the gallons between regens. It does not affect the time spent in any cycle of the regen, as those are all entered directly. Does it control the amount of water put back in the brine tank? If so, does this setting work in conjunction with the CAPACITY setting? Can I assume if I set the CAPACITY or the FILL to a higher number, I get more water put back in the brine tank?

Another unrelated question is I have is how much Iron Out I should use for a yearly cleaning. Everything I've found on the web (and the Iron Out bottle) does not take into account the size of the softener. A bigger softener should need more Iron Out to clean it? Is there a recommendation based on the size of the softener?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/water-softener-salt-with-iron.44822/ says 1/4 cup for treatment every 2 months. I would be inclined to boost that for an annual treatment, and I would also look to let the IO sit with the resin longer. If you want thoughts on how to do that, say so.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/garys-trick-and-how-effective-is-iron-out.47363/ suggests 1/2 cup.

Regarding adjusting for size, I would think scaling up makes sense if you have bigger than 1.5 cuft of resin. So with 2 cuft, then multiply the posted dose by 1.33.

Cowdogs

Reaction score
Thanks Reach. Scaling the amount would seem to be the common sense approach.
And you're saying 1.5 cuft is a good base size to use. That helps.
The bottle says 1 cup for a 1/2 gallon of water for a first time (one time) treatment.
So for a 1-2 times per year treatment on a 2.5 cuft unit I'll use 1.66 cups in ~1 gallon of water.

Reach4

Reaction score
An enhancement could be to monitor the drain line with a TDS meter, and wait until there is a big rise in TDS before throwing the unit into bypass. Otherwise the bolus of IO solution could be largely above the resin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks