Question about check valve in horizontal installation of submersible

Users who are viewing this thread

CanadaErik

Reaction score
Hi there:

So I am planning to draw water out of a river close to my cottage and purchased a 4 inch 1 hp submersible Sta-Rite Signature 2000 with a Franklin motor. I needed to mount it horizontally in the river since the river get's down to about 3 feet at low water in the summer. My question is, with the pump mounted horizontally, will the check valve in the pump work properly? I seem to be losing pressure and am pretty sure there is no leak in the poly.
Thanks,

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Check valves usually work fine on the side. But I prefer a spring loaded check valve, especially for these applications. If it is not spring loaded, add an additional spring loaded one right at the pump head before the pipe.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Using a spring loaded check valve will cause even more friction loss (pressure drop)

Reach4

Reaction score
Using a spring loaded check valve will cause even more friction loss (pressure drop)
http://www.simmonsmfg.com/index.php/our-products/check-valves/check-valve-stemless/
The graph seems to show about 1 PSI drop at 15 GPM for a 1-1/4 check valve.

The Apollo ball cone check valves (they have a spring too) seem to have much less pressure drop. http://www.apollovalves.com/_literature/cat_PHBRCHV.pdf says the 61LF-106-01 1-1/4 inch check valve claims only a 1 PSI drop at 44 GPM.

It would be interesting to compare others.

Attachments

• img_3.png
    img_3.png
    170 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks