Question about Burnham Alpine 150 BTU Boiler question

Users who are viewing this thread

JDL

Reaction score
I recently installed a Burnham LP fired Alpine 150 BTU boiler that is servicing three hydronic coils and a indirect hot water heater. I am using a Taco pumps and a controller for the zones. The system works great but on a few occasions in the last few weeks, since the system has been running, I have notice something that I don't understand. When the boiler receives a heat call from either the Taco zone controller or from the indirect hot water heater it sequences from standby, to drive purge, to pre purge, to drive light off, to pre-ignition test, to pre ignition, to direct ignition then running until the set point is achieved and/or the call is satisfied after which it goes to post purge and then back to standby. A few times it has gone from pre ignition right to post purge with out ever starting and then it sequences though the entire process again and again without ever firing. In each case I just turned the power supply off and on again and the boiler then goes through the normal process and fires right off. The unit has almost a 100 hours on it already and this has only happened twice that I have noticed so what ever is going on here is rare. When this happens it does not record a fault code in the history on the system. I have read in the manual that it can cycle up to 5 times before firing. Any thoughts on what might be going on here?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The flame sensor may have a loose connection or not be positioned properly to sense the flame. The normal sequence is, turn on the igniter (may be a hot wire or a sparker), turn on the gas, sense if the burner lit, if yes, continue, if not, shut the gas off, purge the raw gas, try again. It typically isn't a fault until it completely fails after the max trials.

ProjectPro

Reaction score
JDL - Did you find out what caused this? I have a similar problem with my 3 year old NG fired 150, except that mine goes to Direct Ignition for a few milliseconds before doing a post-purge. It sounds as though it lights, but only for an instant then the post purge starts. My HVAC guy finally got it running yesterday, but it is running rough and "fog horning". He can't get it to start when the mixture is normal; he has to lean it way out just to get it to stay lit. Anyone else fix a problem like mine?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks