Question about black plastic pipe between meter and house.

Users who are viewing this thread

vegashiker

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Home is in Las Vegas NV, new construction in late 1996, early 1997. Desert soil (caliche) is very alkaline.
The pipe between the meter and the home is some sort of black plastic.
My neighbor across the street got a $$$$$ water bill.
One plumbing company that came out said that he has a leak in the black
feeder pipe between the meter and his shut off valve.
The plumber said that the black plastic pipe has a limited lifetime, 15-20 years at max,
and that this type of pipe has a tendency to split longitudinally getting
worse & worse particularly if it has been disturbed.

There was no earth movement that we know of.
No earthquakes of even minor seismic readings.

I don't doubt the plumbers diagnosis on my neighbors home,
but I would like to veryify the other facts relayed about the life expectancy of the black plastic pipe.

Are the problem with this type of pipe true? :confused:
If so, I want to plan ahead in case of a similar leak in my yard,
as the problems in one home in the development seem to follow with the others.
Thanks
See attachment. black pipe.jpg

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What is important to know is what type of leak occurred. Was it a pinhole, a split (as a mentioned risk in your post) or a separation between fittings? Also, what type of HDPE pipe was used for the install: Green stripe (low pressure, up to 100psi) or blue stripe (high pressure, up to 200psi).
Black HDPE pipe is resistant to both acidic and basic soils and lifetime is determined more critically on the installer. If it was kinked during the installation, it could have worn away in a specific spot. It may have also been damaged or nicked. HDPE pipe (gas and water) must also be installed in a ditch/trench in a serpentine pattern and not straight so that expansion and contraction can occur stress-free. A bedding of sand below (approx. 2" or more) on the sides and on top (approx. 4"-6") is recommended for protection during backfilling from objects that can damage the outside wall. The same precautions are needed for copper water services even though most installers use the surrounding soil from the excavation. Expansion and contraction of both pipes can cause premature wear from friction against rocks or rough fill.
When installed properly, HDPE pipe has the same life expectancy as copper in my opinion. I have read test studies for it from years ago that put the life expectancy at 30+ and 50+ years. I have never seen an HDPE failure of the pipe itself. I could imagine a split could happen if low pressure pipe was used on a high pressure service.
If the photo above is the actual leak that happened to your neighbor, I would be more concerned with the use of proper fittings connecting to the HDPE. This is where pressure and the expansion/contraction come into play.
I use a variety of Ford corporation stops, 90's or couplings on HDPE, not PVC compression fittings. The ford fittings have a stiffener, ring and set crew to create a more reliable connection that can handle pressures, temperatures and expansion/contraction.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT depends on what kind of pipe it is. At one time they made ABS water lines and they WOULD split, but your house should be too new for that, in which case it is probably polyethylene, which should have a longer lifetime than that. The pipe will have a lable printed on the side telling what kind of pipe it is if you can locate a longer section of it.

Caduceus

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That slight curve to the left into the ground from the fitting as well as the compression fitting leads me to believe it's HDPE. It's been in use for water services since the 1960's.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
How good is that stuff if it is left exposed to UV long-term? Hopefully, it is not exposed, but I haven't researched how well it holds up if it is. Anyone know? Many plastics get brittle when they get older in the presence of UV light.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks