Question about Bathtub Faucet Supply Line

Users who are viewing this thread

Jerry C.

Reaction score
This is my first time posting on this forum. I have a question about the supply lines for a bathtub that my contractor is currently installing. I would appreciate hearing some of your thoughts on the following:

The supply lines from under the house are copper. The copper lines go from the crawl space under the house through the floor and into the area where the tub will be installed. The copper lines then connect to a shut off valve and the valve then connects to flexible stainless steel tubing that runs to the faucet. There is no access panel and the tub area will eventually be covered with tile. Once the tile is installed, there will be no way to access the plumbing.

Is installing a shutoff valve and flexible tubing allowed when the plumbing connections will be permanently enclosed in a wall? I am concerned that the valves and/or the flexible tubing will leak down the road and there will be no way to access it. Shouldn't the copper lines run all the way to the faucet?

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas. I may be overthinking this, but I don't have a great deal of confidence in the general contractor that is doing the plumbing himself.

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most "flexible supply lines" have a tag stating that they are ONLY for "accessible locations". In addition, most are too small to supply the volume of water you would need. General contractors and plumbing contractors are TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS, and should not be mixed. Does he have a permit and is it being inspected?

Jerry C.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I'll check to see if there is a tag on the supply line. We did get permits. However, the plumbing inspection was completed after the rough plumbing was completed, but before the tub was installed. I am in San Diego and the inspectors here don't do much more than take a quick glance at the work before they sign off.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The bathtub should have copper to the tub spout and either PEX or copper to the valve.
Stainless braided supply lines are not acceptable. Have him fix this before it's covered.

tl2368ep-terrylove-03.jpg

Last edited:

Jerry C.

Reaction score
Thanks. I checked the tags and they do say that they are for accessible locations only. This is going to be a fun argument with the contractor.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
A rough-in inspection should have all the plumbing completed except the faucets. That would include the system under pressure to besure there are no leaks, shower/tub valve body plumbed in and the shower base or tub. The sink water lines would be capped off at the location of the vanity and toilet.

Is your GC to do all the work as contracted or is he taking the cheaper route? A good GC would sub this out to a licensed plumber, at least the work behind the walls. If he refuses get rid of him and hire your own plumber, then scramble to find someone to finish it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks