Quality seat for round Drake

Users who are viewing this thread

PDBS

Reaction score
Hello all,

We've been happily using two round Drakes (Cotton & S. Beige) for several years now thanks to this site. One problem that I've had is that the big box store Bemis toilet seats that I swapped off of our old toilets are really looking shabby after a few years and I am looking for a better quality replacement.

My first instinct was to get the Toto Softclose seat, but some posts here seem to indicate quality problems with the softclose mechanism. So, what brand/model seat DOES stay in good shape over time? The washlet-type stuff is a bit overkill, but even a basic non-softclose seat would be just fine by me.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

-PDBS

toilet_seat_selector.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have two soft close Toto seats and zero problems and I find them to be quite comfortable.

PDBS

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. Just getting a couple of softclose seats was my gut instinct, but comments in this thread make me wonder if there has been a recent design change in the softclose seat that makes them more likely to break down. That being said, any seat that doesn't look stained and worn after a few years would be an improvement and since these can be had for about $40 I'm willing to give them a shot if there is no obvious better option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I may have sold thousands of the TOTO softclose seats.
They fit better, the color matches better and they last longer.

You can find a complaint, but you also miss the thousands of reports of happy users.
The glass if way more then half full.

I also sell the Bemis and Church seats that are painted wood.
The color never matches, they crack and they stain, and sometimes the screws pull out.
But they do sell for less and you can throw them away every few years.

PDBS

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. If you haven't run across any changes or quality problems then I will give the softclose seats a shot. You certainly were spot on about the toilets!

-PDBS

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Don't be tempted to push the seat closed while the thing is 'soft' closing. It may not hurt, but it doesn't help, either. Guests often think it is broken and will push it closed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks