Quality Difference Between front and rear lift tub spout diverters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jsmallberries

Reaction score
Recent repair done to a Moen front lift tub spout diverter. The metal stem attached to a piece of plastic with a washer/gasket is cheap and feels flimsy. Are the rear lift diverters generally better quality? What design do the better quality tub spouts have? I'm guessing in this cheaply built tract house they used the "builder special" with the cheapest components.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
New home construction typically is done by the bid that is the lowest to the builder.
Homes often are sold at a 5% to 10% margin. There isn't a lot to play with there. The first home I built I did a lot of upgrades. The interested people walking through assumed that whatever I had done was common to all the rest of the homes they would be looking at. I as basically called a liar for pointing out my upgrades. The next home had fewer of those upgrades, and my margin was higher. Little things that I noticed, but apparently not the buyers.

Most tub spouts are slip on, not threaded. For a basic Delta valve for example, there are many, many options for cartridges and trims.

Unless you're building custom, you're getting basic stuff. And with tract builders, they don't want to talk upgrades, as that gets too confusing for them. They want things smooth and consistent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks