Quality Craft Alexis High Efficiency Dual Flush Toilet in a Box

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumbingisfun

Reaction score
Anyone know the dimensions for the Alexis?

I too was looking at the Quality Craft Alexis at Sam's to install in a rather small bathroom. I can't find any dimensions or any specs on the toilet other than the "33.07X17.91X29.13" measurements on their website. Shouldn't they spec a rough-in?

Sharnfuzzy

Reaction score
Replacement Parts Availability

I am a handicapped senior citizen who also happened to come across the Alexis dual flush toilet at my local Sam's Club. I will have to have them (I actually need two!) installed by a professional plumber in the Syracuse, NY area.

I never thought of the replacement parts problem, and am not sure if that would stop me from buying them anyway.

In going around the internet, I came across a Glacier Bay N-2316 (215-583) dual flush toilet on Home Depot's website for $158 that looked virtually identical in HD's pictures to the Alexis; e.g., the double flush buttons on the center of the tank lid.

Not being anywhere near a professional myself, I wonder if anyone here could comment of the possibilities of how similar the Alexis and Glacier Bay might be, especially as to potential interchangeability of replacement parts (if they are even available for Glacier Bay and/or from Home Depot)?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Not being anywhere near a professional myself, I wonder if anyone here could comment of the possibilities of how similar the Alexis and Glacier Bay might be, especially as to potential interchangeability of replacement parts (if they are even available for Glacier Bay and/or from Home Depot)?

Home Depot doesn't carry parts for many of their house brand toilets.
So good luck with that.

Last edited:

brushout

Reaction score
Parts

There are only two part inside the tank. The Float Cup Fill Valve and the Flush valve. On the lid there is a two button flush mechanism. The flush valve and the buttons have to be purchased from the manufacture. The cup valve can be purchased anywhere.

I bought two of these toilets to replace my old ones. Not very happy so far.

Installed the toilet easily and it came with all the parts need.

After about two weeks the Flush valve started to leak constantly. Pulled the flush valve off to clean it like the instructions indicate for a leaky flush valve. Noticed that the rubber gasket on the bottom of the flush valve had several bubbles in it. Called the company to see what could be done. They offered to send a new flush valve assembly for free. Two weeks later the flush valve arrives. Noticed that the gasket is made of a different material. Installed the flush valve and it too leaks.

Now the other toilet is leaking too.

I will call tomorrow to see what can be done. Worst case scenario, I may just have to replace the whole tank.

PS The seat is a very poor quality plastic seat. It has to be replaced because it has an odd shape to it and it cuts off the circulation to your legs if you sit on it for an extended period. I have sat on more comfortable toilets at roadside rest areas I replaced it with a more durable one $29.99 add that tho the price of each toilet.

Last edited:

brushout

Reaction score
Update

Called Quality Craft this morning. After explaining that the new flush valve also leaks and that the other toilet now leaks. They are going to ship two new flush valves for free. I expect to receive them in two weeks.

I will keep you all posted.

Terryf

Reaction score
I like it!

I bought my first one about 2 years ago. I was aware that there was a rebate program offered through my city's water company, for water saving toilets. I also knew that Sam's club had this one for about $100. It took me a while to learn whether this toilet qualified, because the brand seemed somewhat obscure. Nothing under Quality Craft was on the list. I eventually figured out that this was an Alexis toilet, and that model was on the list.

The same website hand performance ratings of all the toilets on the list. Guess what, the Alexis had the lowest water usage rating, and the highest flush power rating. Those, coupled with the low price, made this seem like a no brainer.

As others have mentioned, places like Sam's and Costco seem to have items for a short while, then they disappear, so I bought on quickly. As it turns out, this is not one of those items, they still have them 2 years later.

Now, I mentioned that there was low cost. What I did not mention, was that the rebate on this, was $130. Therefore, not counting the sales tax, I made a $30 profit on this toilet, paid $100, and got $130 back! That rather destroys the "you get what you pay for argument" in my personal case, since I paid nothing, this toilet would have to cause damage to not be a good value.

Did it live up to my expectations? It exceeded them. It is obvious when you see it in operation, that it is indeed, low water usage. The tank has a Styrofoam liner inside to reduce the volume of water, and to reduce the sweating that occurs on some parts of the country where the supply water is cold and the air is humid. Nice touch.

The capacity of the bowl is a bit scary, there does not seem to be enough water volume. One looks and thinks that defecation will land on the porcelain, not in the water, and that turns out to be the case often, I do not like that. However, the water at flush time almost always cleans the bowl of, and in fact, does so better than the American Standard toilet than this replaced, so it is hard to complain there.

Flush power? Definitely! It is amazing. Yes, we have been able to clog it a few times, but compared to the American standard, I would estimate that this happens maybe 1/5th to 1/4th the time. When it does clog, the vast majority of the time it will clear itself on a second flush. If not, then the plunger comes out, just like every other toilet I have owned. However, this brings me to my first gripe about this toilet.

When using a plunger, the exit at the bottom inside of the bowl, is somewhat rectangular shaped. That means that a round plunger does not make a very good seal. The plunger does work, but not as well as it could. Still, the plunger is effective, it takes perhaps 5 or 6 plunge pushes to clear the clog, instead of the 2 or 3 it should, not a big dea

Now, I agree with others, that it come with one really low quality seat, we did not replace ours though, we lived with it until it broke. My wife and I both push about 300 pounds, so the fact that it survived a year with us, testifies to the fact that it is not as fragile as it appears, but it does exude a low quality. However, we do not feel too bad since the excess rebate money went a long way toward the very nice replacement seat we purchased for it from Home Depot or Lowe's, I do not recall which.
Would I buy another? I bought three more.

We lived in a three-bath house, so we spent a total of $300, got $390 in rebates, bought one seat at $30, so we are $60 in the plus at that point, not counting the money saved on the water bill.

We have since moved to another 3 bathroom house, and our local water company offers a voucher, not a rebate. You fill out the form and they send you a voucher for up to $165 per toilet, limit two per household. If your toilet costs less that $165, you can use the extra money for instalation materials, or for a seat, as long as the total stays under $165. Over $165, you have to pay the difference. Previously here at this house, they offered an $89 rebate, and we but one of these in and took the $89, so the toilet cost $11. Now, we want to replace the other two toilets, but for the voucher program, the dealer needs to participate, and apparently,Sam's Club Does not. So, we will replace the other two with toileds from home depot. They are also dual flush, tall seat, low consumption etc, appear very similar. They are $118 online, but $158 in the store. However, the managers says he will honor the online price. So, we will buy two of those and two seats, and pay nothing. These type of toilets supposedly save about 12,000 gallons per year, so they will pay for themselves quickly, whether or nor there is a voucher or rebate.

The seat is ADA height approved, and while we are not disabled, the extra height is nice, more comfortable and easier to get up and down. The seat height couples with the low water level in the bowl, equals extra room between your bottom and the water, a feature I appreciate.
I also have thought about ordering spare parts, but I have not, and out of the six toilets, none has needed parts so far.

I cannot think of much more to add apart from one last gripe. The first three installed fine. Everything was easy and worked as it should. I never read the instructions, I just installed them as is, and they were plug_and_play. The forth one though, did not have adequate flush volume as it came from the factory. They are very adjustable, but the instructions, though seemingly extensive enough, never the less are not clear to me. It took a bit of head scratching to figure it out, but not too bad. Also, the forth one leaked at first, because the factory had not properly tightened the fill valve. No bggy, but check everything before and during the install.

All and all I doubt I have seen a better toilet at a bargain price, even without the rebates and water savings, I would still buy these just because they cost so little and work so well.

Hope that was helpful and informative, to me, the only real issue, might be the parts issue, I have not had to deal with that yet. If it turns out that they are not available for some reason, I would just consider replacing the toiler with another of the same kind, or, more likely, just buying another and robbing it for parts. That might seem silly and wasteful, but if I have to spend another $100 to keep one of these rolling, I will still be ahead of the game and only our $100 for a great toilet, since they are essentially free, or more accurately, because you have already paid for them with your tax money, the source of cash for the rebates and vouchers.

I should add that the toilet came with all needed hardware, the wax ring, and a braided stainless supply line.

Last edited:

grrr

Reaction score
You can still find these in some Sam's Clubs. I have had experience with this particular toilet.

About two years ago I bought two of these for my house. At the time it was an especially nice solution for me since the price was right (about $100), and I could get a rebate b/c of water savings (another story).
After about two years, both toilet seats have now broken--one at the hinge and the other a cracked seat. Prior to breaking, the cushions/legs under the toilet seats would leave something like grease marks on top of the rim, which look bad and were very hard to clean off. Eventually, one of these rubber cushions/legs fell out and apparently got flushed. On both toilets the seats would not stay up by themselves, so if you're a guy (or you are cleaning the toilet) you have to hold the seat up until you are finished.
Eventually the flush mechanism on one of the toilets gave me problems if I flushed "too hard" (push the button "too fast"). Inside the flush mechanism (which twists on/off in the bottom of the tank) one of the parts would detach, disabling the ability to flush. If you take it out and really study it, you can figure out how it's supposed to work and get it back together. But it keeps happening, so I have to take it easy when I flush that one toilet. Customer service via the company's web site is terrible--no faqs, no downloadable instructions or parts lists, etc.

A while after I bought the toilets for my house I bought three more so I could refurb and sell my parents' house. The toilet seats appeared to have cushions/bumpers made of a different material than the ones at my house. However, there were manufacturing quality control problems with these most recent toilets. The first toilet I installed leaked when I flushed it, which turned out to be a casting defect between the base and the trap (this was a visible defect, but I was not looking for defects when I installed). I removed the toilet and returned it to Sam's Club, then inspected replacement toilets before I left the store. Found two more defective toilets before I found an apparently good one to take with me!

Last edited:

grrr

Reaction score
For anybody looking to replace the seat for this toilet, I have found one that fits the shape of the bowl quite well, is solid plastic (not painted heavy molded wood) and has a high gloss like the original. It looks very much like the original. It's a Kohler Brevia White, Solid Plastic, Elongated, K-4664-0. Got one yesterday at Home Depot for $21.97 + tax.

Attached is a pic

Attachments

• 2010-06-24.jpg
    2010-06-24.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 3,524

speeduardo

Reaction score
http://www.qualitycraft.com/secondar...flushtoiletbox appears to be a dead link. Being a mega-novice it seems like the only way anyone is going to be able to replace Alexis Dual Flush Toilet parts is with compatible parts from another manufacturer. Someone mentioned Toto Aquia, and another said that it wouldn't work. I see this link for another and theoretically if the orofices is standard ... would this work? The only difference seems to be that one would have to reroute the flush button (Maybe not an easy task). http://www.gomjsi.com/dual-flush-hy...alflushparts&gclid=COa44tfOsKUCFQUSbAodvg8TYg

alexis_push_rods.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sueb43

Reaction score
Dual flush toilet

I purchased this for my son and daughter-in-law because their toilet in the house we purchased was so terrible. It wouldn't even flush paper on one flush. They had a plumber's helper (plunger) near the toilet for the many times it wouldn't complete a flush. Purchased the Alexis dual flush toilet from Sam's club and had it installed the next day. There were instructions included but the print was a little small for me. The toilet was installed successfully. Seemed to me the water was pretty low. I read instructions stating that there is an adjustment that can be made on each side for the half flush and full flush. To raise the water level, you adjust the slide down. It works great and even the half flush for paper flushes well. Thanks for the info on replacement parts, I thought it would be good to have a spare flush valve on hand so they wouldn't have to wait if the present one wears out. The higher seat is great for keeping strain off a bad back. My son and daughter-in-law have told me many times in the past week they love the new toilet. Flushes great!!

I was curious about these replacement parts as well so I emailed them, and they said to call their customer service at 1-800-459-4409. The flush valve cylinder is $25, but they are in Canada so the shipping is $20 for one or even two of them. Someone might be able to make a few bucks buying these in bulk and selling the parts on an online auction site in a few years when these start breaking. I'm thinking of trying out one of these toilets. If they work well I'd probably buy 2-3 of them and buy a couple of these flush valves in advance. That's not a bad price for what looks like a complicated part.

So has anyone actually seen one of these in action? How forceful is the flush action?

Sueb43

Reaction score
The most important consideration for replacement will be that the toilet has a 3" drain port. Most of the dual flush valves I've seen online have a smaller than 3" drain.

bbahr

Reaction score
I've had no problems with the Alexis except I found the seat uncomfortable and then it broke. Where did you find a replacement? Its bolts are 6" on center rather then 5 1/2" like all of the seat I've found.

peowmeow

Reaction score
Parts were easy to get from manufacturer

I bought two of these toilets. One worked perfectly. For the other one the water seemed to be running several times throughout the day but I actually thought it had to do with something different with that bathroom(such as water pressure) and not the toilet. Almost two years later, my father visited and investigated and we found a very lumpy flush valve seal in that toilet which he told me must not be sealing and that is why the water escapes every once in a while. The other toilet which was working fine had a very nice straight and smooth seal. So I went to http://www.qualitycraft.com and found my toilet Alexis HET dual flush toilet and when I navigate to the page of the toilet I see a different 800 number than the one seen for the main home page. I called that number which is 1-800-459-4409. I explain the problem and they tell me they are sending me a replacement one at no cost even though I never gave them any info about my toilet(such as toilet number, date of receipt when I bought it etc). All I gave them is that it was the Alexis Dual Flush toilet I bought about 2 years ago. I also asked about having to replace other parts just in case I have to in the future and it appears as if most would be replaced free so long as you are still within the 5 year manufacturer warranty period but I'm not 100% sure. I figured even if I had to pay later on it was very easy to call and get the part so atleast that portion of the process is very easy. They even had the pdf of the toilet online so you can locate what the part name before you call. By the way, the seats are horrible on these toilets but I was planning to replace them before I even bought the toilets so it wasn't a big deal for me and I guess I was lucky because I chose a seat blindly at Lowes or Home Depot (can't remember) and it fit the toilet perfectly. Also, the flushing power seems very good to me and it has only clogged up about twice(solved quickly with the plunger) the two years we've had it as opposed to the numerous times with our old toilet.
ILL UPDATE IF THERE ARE PROBLEMS WHEN WE RECEIVE THE PART FROM QUALITY CRAFT

alexis_flush_valve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Serial Remodeler

Reaction score
My toilet's bolt holes are 5.5".

I've had no problems with the Alexis except I found the seat uncomfortable and then it broke. Where did you find a replacement? Its bolts are 6" on center rather then 5 1/2" like all of the seat I've found.

Not sure where you bought yours, but the one I bought yesterday is 5.5". It replaced an infrequently used American Standard 4260 in our guest bath (kept it turned off due to leaking). We used the seat off the AS. So far, so good.

In 2004, we replaced our 3 water guzzling toilets with AS. A waste of $1000+ for a grove of lemons. The flush valve gaskets leaked and they did not have replacements, Lowe's gave us 3 new toilet tanks. Same leaking problems even though they were dead on level. We wasted far more money on waterover the years than we would have if we just kept the old 5gpf toilets. When you have water bills of $80-100/mo, it adds up. The Kohler 3589 we bought for one replacement is OK, but requires plunging, I assume due to the very small amount of water in the bowl.

robkay

Reaction score
For anybody looking to replace the seat for this toilet, I have found one that fits the shape of the bowl quite well, is solid plastic (not painted heavy molded wood) and has a high gloss like the original. It looks very much like the original. It's a Kohler Brevia White, Solid Plastic, Elongated, K-4664-0. Got one yesterday at Home Depot for $21.97 + tax.

Attached is a pic

An old thread I know, but for anyone else buying this toilet, this seat seams to be a discontinued item or model#. I bought a Kohler K-4774-0 which seems to fit real nice, as well. One thing you want to do, though, is make sure you check the seat before you leave the store. I got mine home and the top had some bad surface abrasions on it. I took it back to the Home Depot and we had to go through 5 of them to finally find one that was acceptable--and even that one still had some light abrasions. Bad quality control, I guess. I might not have said anything, but when I'm spending 25 bucks on a doggone toilet seat I want one that's not all scratched up.

I've had one of these toilets installed for a little over 6 mo's. No problems with its performance. I had an issue with the install in that the holes on the bowl for the tank bolts didn't seem to line up quite right with the bolts themselves causing the tank to want to lean forward at a slight angle in order to get the washers to seat properly. The tank only sets one way, so it's not like I had it backward or anything. If I tried to set the tank vertical like it should be the washers would leak. I ended up having to use some plumber's putty above and below the washers and then I finally got a good seal. Hasn't leaked yet. I probably should have exchanged it but I was really busy and didn't want to take the time if I could get it to work as it was.

Nice toilet, though. I just bought another.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks