Qest, Zurn, Sharkbite, Watts, grrrrrrr.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Pewterpower

Reaction score
I've been exploring different options for a repipe. I saw today that the blue store carries a Version (Watts) of push type connections like a Sharkbite.
The orange store carries Qestpex fittings (compression type)

Any thoughts on these?

Copper is too damn $$$ and it looks like PEX tubing is now the pretty much the same price as CPVC. So it comes down to the fittings.

I'm thinking that with the PEX, I can make a solid run with no couplings, from the source to the first fixture. So that would mean only one connection on each end.

Anyway, back to my question.......What are you're thoughts on some of these connections?

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Well, the one positive I can draw from 30 views, and zero responses is that at least nobady has anything bad to say about these connections. :lol:

OldPete

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I only looked at them briefly when I thought they might work in a VERY tight fit. I like the sharkbite ones the best as far as quality. FORGET the ones that Lowe's carries. Just forget them. 100%. JUNK. I don't know about the Home Depot ones... I would sooner go to a plumbing supply and buy sharkbites. But I don't think I would be doing ANY long-term work with these types of fittings. I would use the right fittings, PEX, etc.

My 2 cents,

Pete

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
You void the warranty of any sharkbite connection once you use that plastic tool to remove the pipe from the initial connection.

My customers, even due to cost factors, do not want any inferior piping/fittings installed in their already existing copper systems. It's not a matter of cost they are concerned about. They are concerned about future resale and reliability of what "cost savings" can amount to.

Push-fit connections might be ease of use, Those push-fit fittings on RO systems or filtering systems have a tendency to leak when disturbed/taken apart and reinstalled.

I get calls to fix those leaking connections all the time. I use brass fittings on the recommended areas and it is leak free after that.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Pewterpower, how about running copper in the walls and stubouts and PEX up to it. You get the reliability of copper in the wall and the cost savings with the larger pipe up to it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Really?

How would the manufacturer know that you have used the plastic tool to remove the Sharkbite, assuming you left it in place, and leaking, until they sent someone out in the next 6 months or so to look at it. And if you take it out and replace it, the manufacturer would know you used to tool. It would be a Catch-22 and if that were the case, lthey would never have to honor the warranty.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
hj said:
never have to honor the warranty.

That's their angle. Don't know how they'd know it but I'm sure if they asked the installer and through disclosure admitted taking it apart, bingo.

I think that is their motive; not pay for anything that arises out of it. I was told from a plumbing supply house with the rep for sharkbite nodding his head.

Somehow, somewhere someone has inquired on the matter and found out the hard way I'm sure. We are talking a rubber inner connection that can eventually wear down/distort.

Other than that, it's a huge chunk of brass.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
You all just confirmed my first reaction about the push type fittings. Especially the cheap ones. I will definately stay away from those on "in the wall" applications. I've got this one wall where I might need the flexibility of the pex, as I run the line upstairs, but other than that, I think I'll do cpvc.
I guess a cemented, or soldered, fitting will always beat a push-in type fitting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Buy or rent the tools to use pex, and forget the push-on connectors. It's been said more than once that people like the Uphonor (WIrsbo) system. You've got a ring, use the expander tool, insert the fitting, wait momentarily while it goes back to normal size, and you're done.

Pewterpower

Reaction score
That's awesome! So the tool expands the tube, you jam your fitting into it, wait until it restores itself to normal size, (and then slide the ring up over it?) and you're done. Does that sum it up?
I've never seen these before, so I guess I'll have to go to a plumbing supply store. They rent that thing, huh? Cuz it's $$$ to buy.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As I understand it, there are basically two types. You need an expander tool for both. On the Uphonor stuff, you slide a pex ring over the pipe end first, then expand the pipe with the ring in place, shove in the fitting, and let it close back up and you're done.

The others, use the expander so you can insert the fitting, then you take the ring and use a second tool to crimp it in place. My guess is you probably need to have the ring on the pipe first, but I don't know that for a fact - it might be big enough before crimping to fit over the fitting. Two tools, two different functions. Actually, you are then supposed to use a third tool to determine if you got a good crimp - a go/no-go sizer. If you are going to use multiple sizes, you probably need either new jaws or a second set of tools.

As you can see, you only need one with the Uphonor system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks