PVC vs copper in this application

Users who are viewing this thread

Jarniscipus

Reaction score
This is my mechanical room that I am redoing - as you can see it is a rats nest of plumbing that does not do well for my OCD brain, because I used to be an electrician, I particularly do not like the 1" pipe blocking the well pump controller or the weird position of the water filter. I am trying to decide how to redo it. In the photo, the well infeed is 1", which goes to 1 1/4" PVC for the well equipment which then goes to 1" and 3/4" copper. Should I redo the well equipment in PVC as they did or in copper/brass? Is there any reason why the well plumbing needs to be in PVC? Certainly, PVC would be a bit cheaper.

I also am not clear on PVC and the code - in my state of MN it says PVC is ok for "supply and cold water applications" - do I interpret this code to mean that PVC is legal on all the plumbing shown here from the well inlet to the water heater and anything hot after the water heater is no PVC or

Also there is a water heater based under my water heater - do I need that or can the water heater go directly on concrete? Just curious - I just installed this water heater by the way, but I decided to relocate it, so thus the questions on the plastic base.

Attachments

• laundry.jpg
    laundry.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 173

Reach4

Reaction score
I also am not clear on PVC and the code - in my state of MN it says PVC is ok for "supply and cold water applications" - do I interpret this code to mean that PVC is legal on all the plumbing shown here from the well inlet to the water heater and anything hot after the water heater is no PVC or

That would be a nice situation. I was under the impression that most codes had started requiring CPVC rather than PVC for new inside pressure plumbing, despite the fact that PVC only has a problem with hot. I suspected that was just so they would not have to distinguish hot from cold. CPVC is smaller for a given nominal size.

Should I redo the well equipment in PVC as they did or in copper/brass? Is there any reason why the well plumbing needs to be in PVC? Certainly, PVC would be a bit cheaper.
The only non-cost reason that I know to avoid copper would be if your water was acidic. I am not a plumber.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks