PVC sharkbite fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Smf834

Reaction score
Newbie here…

I am trying to insert a water filter in my PVC pipe just past my water main valve, but the section I wish to install the filter doesn't has a lot of room to bend the PVC to be inserted into one end of the sharkbite. What are my options?

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sharkbite couplings for PVC are repair or slip couplings. Push the long end on the pipe and cut out the section that will allow the pipe to realign. Using the tool you can push the sharkbite onto the other section of PVC.

sharkbite-pvc-connect.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
A filter does not need to stay in line with the original path.

Have you considered a 3-valve bypass around the cartridge filter? Suppose your filter housing started leaking, or you change cartridges, you cannot get the old o-ring back into place, and you don't have a spare.

Note that when you change cartridges, you need to get the pressure off. Some have pressure releases.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you sure its PVC and not CPVC? those generally have different outside diameters and would use different fittings.

Smf834

Reaction score
A filter does not need to stay in line with the original path.

Have you considered a 3-valve bypass around the cartridge filter? Suppose your filter housing started leaking, or you change cartridges, you cannot get the old o-ring back into place, and you don't have a spare.

Note that when you change cartridges, you need to get the pressure off. Some have pressure releases.

The filter is a smaller sediment filter and I will have a ball valve in front of the filter. Ideally I will put in a bypass as well. Filter has a purge function that i can open a valve to flush the dirt out. I just want to be prepared before I open the line that:

1) I can freely insert the input side of the sharkbite connector from the existing pipe to the filter, which should be hard,

2) To insert the output side of the sharkbite to existing pipe, I think it needs about 1” of PVC into the connector to be secured. I am unsure if my existing line can flex/wiggle to insert it into the filter connector.

thanks for all the help in advance

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to cut out a section as said above . You will then have three joint. The two n your filter and the slip coupling joint.

Smf834

Reaction score
Will a slip coupling with no stop be able to substitute the sharkbite slip coupling mentioned above?

living in a small town, not sure they sell the sharkbite slip coupling here.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks