PVC primer & glue dauber size - a dumb question?

Users who are viewing this thread

Temp945

Reaction score
Hi all,

Maybe this is a dumb question because a search on the forum suggests it hasn't been brought up before!

I was reading through a MFR's guide to solvent welding PVC pipe and noticed that they strongly recommend that the applicator (dauber, swab, etc) should be sized at least 1/2 the diameter of the pipe being prepared. Here's a link:

https://tchristy.com/wp-content/pdf/howto/ChristysTechManual_v5_English.pdf

The guide states:

The applicator size should be at least ½ the diameter of the pipe. If too small an applicator is used, a sufficient amount of cement cannot be applied. Christy’s offers a wide selection of applicators and empty cans to help you achieve best results. Do not assume the applicator provided with the can is automatically the correct size for your pipe diameter.

It looks like the largest dauber that comes in primer and cement cans (16 and 32 oz sizes) is 1.5", meaning that they are sized for a maximum pipe size of 3". The MFR product documents I've read confirm this.

What applicator (dauber, swab, etc) do you all use when gluing pipe that is larger than 3" in diameter?

I'm about to do some work with 4" PVC, and since I'm not a pro, it seems like a good idea to use the correct applicator size in order to apply a sufficient amount of primer and cement in the short working time (I think about 30 seconds per joint?)

A few MFRs do list large applicators, but I don't see that they are readily available for purchase anywhere. For example, I can't find any of these applicators for sale from the usual sources:

https://tchristy.com/wp-content/pdf/specsheets/SolventApplicatorGuide_LR.pdf

And here:
https://weldon.com/applicators-accessories/cement-applicators/

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
standard size dauber on a quart can Ive never measured one but it sure is smaler then 2 inch probebly 1 1/2 and its fine for 1 1/2 to 4 inch fittings. perhaps a bit small on 6 but workable I would call it perfect on 3 and 4 inch but 90 percent of time its the only daughber I use for dwv exept if I buy a small can of glue.
Plumbing suppliers sell glue by the gallon and empty qt size cans and a better dauber than the cheezy ones on a flimsy wire. but none of them are that dependable and if the end falls off your screwed, so have an extra or 2

Temp945

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies :)

@fitter30: I do see that they come in a variety of sizes (I included the weld-on link in my original post)

What I'm wondering is: do any of you pros actually follow the manufacturer's advice and use the larger daubers for 4" or larger fittings? If so, where do you purchase them? I don't see that the larger daubers are readily available to purchase from the sources I've looked at.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fitter 30 thanks!
I use whatever comes in the quart can or the super dauber 150 for everything up to 4 inch and sometimes 6 inch

Fitter30

Reaction score
Any fitting above 4" quart can dauber is ok 6" - 8" dauber that looks like a hot dog any fitting anything above point roller size. Just matters if your doing small repair or a whole job .

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any fitting above 4" quart can dauber is ok 6" - 8" dauber that looks like a hot dog any fitting anything above point roller size. Just matters if your doing small repair or a whole job .

4 inch pipe is too small for a dauber that comes in a quart can? I wouldnt think of going smaller even for 3inch. Just me we all have preferance. Ive only piped 8 or bigger a few times we used the rollers

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks