PVC pipe in front yard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt_c

Reaction score
This pipe has always been in our front yard since we bought the place (obviously it was there before then too :)). It has never had any kind of cap on it and it's always been filled up partially with water/leaves/grass clippings. Today I checked it out and pulled out a bunch of rocks (some can be seen in the picture). An inch or two below where the water (hard to see in the picture, but you can see it by the reflection of the tree) stands feels like packed dirt and rocks.

Is this something I should look into?

We've never had any issues with backups or water not draining in our house. 3 bathroom house with showering/toilet use frequently and running the washing machine and dishwasher 1-2 times a day for that last few years, so whatever is going on here isn't affecting our drains at all, but for the last year or so there has been an occasional sewer gas odor outside in our back yard on the opposite side of the house, but not in our house except for in the entry way when we open the back door. It isn't a constant lingering smell, but occasional and sometimes stronger than other times. I don't recall the smell ever popping up back there in the winter either.

open-pipe-in-yard.jpg

Matt_c

Reaction score
Is it city sewer or septic tank and field?
City sewer. About 20 yards from the house In the front yard. I thought it was a cleanout pipe, but the top is cut off and it doesn't have any threads where a cap would go, and if it were that clogged I would think that would create issues with our plumbing in the house.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've seen many clean outs with no caps or threads . not saying it is a clean out but don't let the fact that its just a plain end sway your opinion.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think you mentioned the pipe diameter. That tree watering pipe sounded like a good explanation, and is compatible with the pipe filling with dirt. No tree there? The tree may have died because it was not sufficiently watered before it got established.

If the pipe were bigger and not dirt-filled, I would have wondered if it were a cleanout or an RV dumping port. So why no cap? Lawnmower hit the pipe. A tree watering pipe would not usually be capped.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Too little info the guessing is never ending. The tree watering is good reason but not if there never was a tree . RV hook up another one but of course if its in the middle of front yard maybe not.
Homeowner get your shovel and dig it up, do you even know where exactly the sewer goes ? They can exit property virtually anywhere . So you have an alley in back ? The smell is in back yard.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the pipe is vertical, it could have been used as a socket for a tetherball pole. Or it could have been a PVC flagpole that got blown over. Tree watering would usually be at a slant.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I suggested tree watering because of the reflection in the water, but Matt would know better than me where the tree is.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks